DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How does 1 less vacation day create money?

Posted by C J Flynn - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

There's an insert in BBC World's news programme this evening on the proposal. It suggests that the economic benefits may be smaller than expected, pointing out that the holiday generates tourism revenue at a time and in places (e.g. Lourdes) where there would otherwise be little.

The argument semes to have at least some merit. If you're going to remove a holiday, why not one that's slap in the middle of the tourist season? Or one of the 30 or so that seem to take place in May (OK, that's an exaggeration for effect, but, it can feel that way, kinda...).

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by C J Flynn - 14 years ago

Ok; so it seems to come down to our not having enough data, a method of exploitation, or insanity.I know it is wrong of me, but whenever I read a post using the one-sided canard about the 35 hour work week, I start to doubt everything else in the post. Rarely does anyone point out that there was a quid pro quo for the 35 hour week, which gave management instead of unions the ability to set holidays, allowing corporations to set holidays based upon production demands rather than weather, and put more people into night shifts (as an example from the Nadeau/Barlow book.) These were much more important concessions and explains why there was so little resistance to getting the 35 hour week passed. Naturally, things were much better when it didn’t matter if the hoi-poloi were working 6 x 12 hours a weeks, as their kids were in the mines (and weren't given time enough or money enough to buy paint for tagging.)C J

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Don't look for a logical solution in terms of standard economic theory.  There isn't one.

It's like arguing with a drunk.  Round and round in circles.

35 hour week - great for those like me who want to work less.  As for creating employment and boosting the economy .... hello! 

The lights are on, they'll stay on until the strikes hit EDF,  but there's definitely nobody at home.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RandalHemingway - 14 years ago

I got my economics degree this summer, so maybe I can help.

My guess is that the government were talking about GDP or the total worth of all products and services produced by the french economy. If pentecost was cancelled, that would mean that everyone would work an extra day of the year, and so raise the total amount of production that year. someone at the french government has divided the total GDP by the average number of days worked and come up with the figure of 2.6 bn euros per day.

you are right that it would not raise tax revenue from paid workers. however more goods and services means, in theory, more stuff to put TVA on and also more company profit to tax.

So thats where it has come from. However, I would have a few issues with the idea. Raising production is great but it only works if there is excess demand in the economy, which I cant see in France at the moment. for companies it sounds great on the face of it, they pay their staff the same but raise output. but if everyone has the same amount of money, they dont have any extra to pay for the extra good produced. it only works if france is a heavily exporting country. is it?

The 35 hour week and employment legislation is a whole different ball game.  

well, enough from me. not bad for a guy that specialized in micro not macro economics, eh?

Randal

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjmiller - 14 years ago

How does 1 less vacation day create money?

Well it goes right along with the 35 hour work week will generate new jobs,

and not being able to fire people will control unemployment fluctuations.

Just stuuuuuuupid