DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How soon will all the tourists go? I cannot wait

Posted by me_2003 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi, I cannot wait for them all to go? 

It will become so easy driving to work.

Maybe a nice crimewave will help free the beachs and bring down the house prices.

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 13 years ago

Anyway, this post is about the tourist leaving for good.

And not about being ripped off by local agents.  Please start your own post. 

Anyway I know someone very trustworthy that manages flats if you need help. Email above. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by hbcaney - 13 years ago

Renting out (or otherwise) an owners premises without their knowledge is appauling - it seems there are a number of unscrupulous agents about who I suspect are making a quick buck or two on the back of it, notwithstanding any tenancy rights the occupants acquire (don't even go there!) -as an English lawyer looking to return to the CDA after far too long an absence and possibly renting out whatever I buy from time to time, surely there are reliable agencies abound?  Seems there's a common thread developing - any other nightmare stories with local agents?

Sorry no image available
Posted by sms9127 - 13 years ago

Same here, a friend of mine who has an apartment in Antibes came in from the States after being away for well over a year. The first couple of days here she stayed at my place. Then, when I took her over to her apartment, we walked in on a family who were very well installed there. It was all very embarrassing.  The agency didn't know she was coming, they said that " they were going to tell her ".  Right !  Hey, this is beginning to sound like it often happens.Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Friends of mine who live elsewhere own a flat in Cannes,  which they rented out through an agency.  They decided, having been told by the agency that it was 'empty' at the time, to sleep there one night.

As they opened the door they were invited to join a noisy party that was going on there. The occupants claimed to have been given the key by the agency. The agency said it must have been a cleaner who had made a copy of the key.  Sure!  Of course they never got the truth, nor did the agency admit guilt.

Sorry no image available

I once tried renting my property here with an agency, but when the client arrived there was no one at my place to meet them, show them around, give the keys, do an entrance inventory, etc ... as had been previously agreed, and no answer at their contact phone number.  The rental family didn't speak French, was very tired after a long trip and wouldn't have gotten in if my housekeeper hadn't come by.  The agency was supposed to take care of linen supply, but when the linen arrived my housekeeper refused to put the old, and torn sheets they had delivered on the beds (she used mine).  When the client left no one from the agency came for the departure inventory or to recuperate the keys.  It was a mess, and I had a different family which I had rented to directly arriving the same day in the afternoon.  I now rent my place using one of the web sites which allow the owner and the client direct contact, it's easy to handle the payments yourself and to hire someone here that you can trust to be available for the arrivals/departures and cleaning.   Probably there are good agencies, but how to be sure ?Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 13 years ago

That's terrible - what did they say when you told them you knew it was rented?

Sorry no image available
Posted by umm-196528 - 13 years ago

Very sad... well I wanted to know if any of you have had an experience with anyone managing their property for rent this season as I gave mine to a company and they asked my current tenants for more money or to leave and left my place "apparently" not rented but I have had friends go by daily and the place "is" rented!!! I am out of the country at present so not much I can do but wanted to let you guys know. I was very immpressed with this person originally and its turned into a nightmare.

Sorry no image available

It seems obvious that those who have chosen to come and live here to change their life, to invest in their future by learning the language, trying to find their place in THIS community and contribute to it, pay taxes, maybe buy a home, maybe even raise their children here, certainly feel very different than those who than those who have come here looking only for some kind of perfect, personal Paradise ! A crime wave ?    .....  Ca va pas !

Topic Reviewme_2003

Hi, I cannot wait for them all to go? 

It will become so easy driving to work.

Maybe a nice crimewave will help free the beachs and bring down the house prices.

Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by The Pigtails-195986 - 13 years ago

I do have to agree with dublin mike!! I cant believe you have the cheek to ask the question? what do you think you are? I promise you even thirty years here will never make you local!!! lol The french will accept you & make you feel welcome blah blah .......... but when they talk about tourists dont get above yourselves & think your a local!!! you are the bringers of industry & money!! but your also the reason the rent is outrageous on property & the CDA price of living is well above average!! do you think they thank you for this? "How soon will all the tourists go? I cannot wait" thats exactly what the locals say & its about us in general they mean!!The one & only original Pigtails

Sorry no image available
Posted by meagherp - 13 years ago

All thank your blessings you are in Nice in the sun. I've had to return to the UK for weddings/business for 2 weeks. Its rained hard almost every day, I've not seen 20 degrees temperature except twice and Cornwall seems to have been washed away. Traffic and the cost of living bad as ever. can't wait to return to the Cote.Peter