DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How to do "Corsica"?

Posted by Andrew.Wilk - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 15 years ago

Well that took care of my question on the other side then

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 15 years ago

Hi Andrew,

I'm recently back from my first trip to Corsica and I shall post more on this wonderful experience soon, but just to give you a couple or so pointers right now:

- you can take a car ferry from the port of Nice (not necessarily in the afternoon, some leave at 09:00) but you need to book first: try the SNCM and/or Corsica Ferries websites, where you can book and get your tickets over the net. You have a choice of arrival and return sailings from Bastia, Calvi and Ajaccio.  The crossing on a fast boat is around 4 hours.  A day trip would be silly by boat.  Sorry, no experience of flying over there (you really would need to hire car if you did that).

- at this time of year, I would recommend booking a hotel first - I had difficulty in finding 2 rooms, even one month before my trip in early June.  The island gets inundated with tourists and large groups in July/August.  Best months are really May, June & September.

- what to see: all depends what you like doing: hiking in the mountains (the GR20 trail is famous, starting from Corte in the centre of the island), lazing on beautiful sandy beaches, visiting Napoleonic museums, sampling fine food, etc. - all are possible.  Just bear in mind that Corsica has a large quantity of winding mountain roads (don't measure by kms, measure by time), pretty medieval villages and beautiful views.  I visited Ajaccio and the  extreme South and stayed in Porto Vecchio.  Bonifaccio, nearby, is not to be missed.  Saterne, on the other hand, was rather boring. Mountains are everywhere in sight. 

- others told me that the east coast is to be avoided, but other gorgeous areas are the North (le Cap Corse), the north west and the west coast.

More soon, in my promised longer account of my holiday.

Seeker