DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Humane removal of bats

Posted by AAG - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Try this link - the humane bat-control options are in the box on the right-hand side of the page.

I can't say whether the good/bad points of bats on the Côte d'Azur map exactly on to those in MN, however...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by AAG - 14 years ago

They didn't bother me either.....then one night I heard a strange noise in the bedroom and it was a bat. Then my kids were watching Richard Attenborough's 'Life Of Mammals' and he said how the ammonia build up creates the most hostile environment to man.Then..I asked Jeeves and discovered the following......

BATS carry rabies and histoplasmosis. The latter is a respiratory disease. It is contracted by breathing dust stirred up from areas where bat or bird droppings accumulate. The symptoms of histoplasmosis can become severe, and if left untreated can lead to death.The key to preventing bat-borne diseases is avoiding bat - human contact. Close associations, where bats roost in areas occupied by humans, pose unacceptable public health risks.

So I thought I'd get them removed before our terrace becomes a no go zone and I want to sleep with the windows open at night.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pegase-187776 - 14 years ago

LET THEM LIVE !!

Batman

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

Why be humane?

By killing them you'll be helping some other member of the food chain.

That should help you sleep.

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janne-181880 - 14 years ago

I agree with Legend...  Is it an old wives' tale that they fly in your hair?  They used to accompany me and my dog on our evenings walks along the Banquière in St André de Nice (now disappeared and replaced by a contrete jungle called St André de la Roche).  They were, for us too, a source of pleasure and awe.  We even saw one once in Cimiez in Nice, so I guess they're everywhere, but perhaps just shy of people.

Why don't you wait a while and see later if they really are a problem?  If they are, I'll try to find out from those in the know what is considered the best solution. 

Janne

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Where there's bats there's no mossys !stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Why do you want to remove them?  Are they annoying you in some way?

We've lived in the graceful presence of a colony of bats under our eaves for 10 years now.  In this time I have counted them grow from 26 to 32 in number and have come to recognise one or two of them as oldtimers.  They've brought nothing but pleasure and awe to our home.