DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

I can't mail hotmail??!

Posted by Newby-188674 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I use a wanadoo account and until 2 weeks ago, have always been able to send and receive to hotmail. However, recently started using Outlook with my wanadoo, and am now only to receive from hotmail, but not send? Can anyone help?

thanks

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by martinb-185976 - 14 years ago

Hotmail bounces a lot because they have huge problems with their mail servers and....now they have a paid serve as well, they are not really in a hurry fixing the problems with their free service.

Wanadoo is reporting on its site about this problem. A couple of weeks ago it was impossible to send any mail to a hotmail acct. using wanadoo because they could not get connection. I would not worry too much about your program.

Good Luck 

Sorry no image available
Posted by C J Flynn - 14 years ago

I've also had a few returns from hotmail accounts in the last few weeks, as well as compuserve. After waiting a bit, I resent them and they stayed gone. My bet is that administrators are constantly tweaking to avoid the spam and virus attacks and go beyond limits sometimes. C J Flynn

Sorry no image available
Posted by Newby-188674 - 14 years ago

thanks for all the replies. I've just been into my Outlook to mail myself at hotmail so I could post the error message and guess what? It's suddenly decided to start working!!

I'm using windows xp, microsoft outlook 2000 and connect to the internet using wanadoo ADSL. The error message that Doug posted looks very familiar, but I'm just going to follow his advice, keep crossing bodily parts and hope it carries on working.

thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 14 years ago

Could these Gremlins be in any way related to THIS problem?

It sounds like a similar problem that I've experienced recently too.

All seems to be OK at the moment, but there'll be trouble if it goes again as I've no more bodily pointy bits to cross.

To clarify the problem in my case:

I'm using Wanadoo ADSL and sending e-mail using a LookOut 2000 account via the Wanadoo SMTP server. The e-mail is addressed to a Hotmail user. Within a few minutes of initiating the send, I receive a bounce message from Wanadoo's SMTP server indicating an 550 error - it can't access the Hotmail domain.*

Mails to other non-Hotmail addresses are sent without any problems.

After a bit of fiddling about with traceroute and the like, it appeared to be some sort of DNS problem between wanadoo and hotmail - but I couldn't confirm this completely.

If this is the case, then it's not the sort of thing us mere mortals can fix so we just have to rely on the BOFHs at Wanadoo and Hotmail :-(

Let's all cross our fingers and hope they don't kick out the plug again.

* 550 message non delivre pour cause d'indisponibilite hotmail. merci de reessayer plus tard.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dexter-189875 - 14 years ago

why on earth are you using outlook express anyway....it's really attractive to viruses, Mozilla is a safer option!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

I'm really confused here...

Newby: are you:

Connected to the Internet via Wanadoo and using your Wanadoo e-mail address (some.one@wanadoo.fr) to send and receive e-mail, only to have it bounced back by Hotmail if you use Outlook rather than Wanadoo's Web interface. Or...Connected to the Internet via Wanadoo but using Hotmail to send/receive e-mail, and finding that you can't send via OutlookWhichever, are you using Outlook or Outlook Express (they're about as different from each other as a piano and a tennis-racquet, which both have strings, but...)? What is your operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Windows ME)? What version of Outlook or Outlook Express are you using (e.g. Outlook 2000, Outlook Express 5.5)?When you say you can't send, you are presumably getting an error message. What is the nature of this, how does it appear, and what are the EXACT words of it/them.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twizzel-185350 - 14 years ago

I use hotmail through Outlook with no problems at all, but not sure if you are using outlook or outlook express?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Newby-188674 - 14 years ago

Thanks

it's not just me then...I'll go via Explorer then but if anyone knows a way around this, then I'd love to know

thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by maya-181345 - 14 years ago

Probably I can't help you, but I don't know if you know the fact, that a Hotmail-account is not working easily with Outlook Express and there's nothing you or they can do about it.

I used Outlook express with my hotmail-account for a couple of months and after all those problems I got back using Hotmail with Explorer.

Good luck :)