DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

I listen to riveria radio all day.....

Posted by apu - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sco - 16 years ago

Hey, maybe a bit off topic but...  I'm moving to Antibes soon, and I'm curious to hear if there are college music stations around that are worth listening to.  I've hosted a ska/punk show for four years here on the westcoast of Canada, and I'm curious about volunteer hosting a show overseas... Anyone listen to community radio?  Or radio that isn't corporation-like?  Does it exist in France?  Thanks, Scott.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 16 years ago

So glad Rob Harrison is back ........ maybe now they can use the other guy who was on in the mornings in one of the afternoon slots to replace the current incumbents, my comments about whom have been deleted by admin.

Sorry no image available
Posted by the_geezer - 16 years ago

Tuned into RR this evening just before 6pm for the beeb (the only time I listen to that station), only to hear a house-ad for something called - I think - yourfavouriteradiostation@rivieraradio etc etc. Something like that anyway. It's an email address to which you can send your comments on how to improve the sorry lot that is RR.

Now, if we are to assume that this station is being run by media professionals and experienced djs and journalists, then why are they asking US how to run it?

The Geezer

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

Alison665: I do have a couple of friends at Riviera Radio, but that's irrelevant - I also have friends at Radio International and Radio Caroline; I am "defending" the station from ill-informed attacks. In this context, I hope I would defend my worst enemy from the same form of unthinking abuse. It's part of being a media professional, as I see it...

No, I don't know the owner, and I have no commercial interest - although I do work from time to time for the competitive stations Radio International and The Rock of the Riviera, and have done a couple of progs for Radio Caroline. (Actually I did get FFr100 for doing a voice for a Riviera Radio ad back in 1992 or so, but I don't think that counts as an "interest").

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

quote:Your argument may be valid in the case of the anglo press down here but the radio side dosen't fly at all.If they are indeed losing money as you say then quite frankly the quicker they're turfed out the better.

carrington: The fixed costs of radio are far higher than for print, so your first point doesn't make sense. On the contrary... Also, it's not a particularly rich media market, whatever you (and some media kits) might say. Finally, I did not say that Riviera Radio was losing money - I don't have that kind of information; I merely said that it was necessary to use such cost-saving measures as automation to have any chance in this size of market.

Sorry no image available
Posted by t-stag-180429 - 16 years ago

Be good if someone from RR was reading all this!  A few comments: 1) why play the same old tracks, there are others on the CDs and a bit more variety would help - ie Supertramp did a lot more than Dreamer. 2) what happens in the BBC news before RR pick up the feed, then it seems to be mainly about the third world. 3) what happened to the guys from Barclays, at least they were more informed than the amateur Aussie. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by apu - 16 years ago

hey...note that even though comments about the night time are valid, i was referring to music during the day in the initial post...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alison665 - 16 years ago

Mike,

Your posts on the subject of Riviera Radio are quite interesting - do you have friends there?  Know the owner?  The way that you strenuously defend them, suggests that you do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by carrington-181725 - 16 years ago

Indeed it may be a small market by radio standards Mike,but it's well worth remembering as i'm sure your all to aware that it's also happens to be one of the richest markets on the face of the earth and perhaps with the minor exception of the radio international lot or whatever they're called just over the border,they pretty much have a monopoly on the anglo market.

Now if indeed as you say they can't cobble together a few extra pennies to spend on someone to spin the discs then what are they good for ? Your argument may be valid in the case of the anglo press down here but the radio side dosen't fly at all.If they are indeed losing money as you say then quite frankly the quicker they're turfed out the better.

Personally the only thing i find interesting is Rob in the morning,after that it's pretty much flicking through the french stations..Def some sort of relaunch needed though..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam the clam-189505 - 16 years ago

OK Mike, I was just having a dig. However as I appear to be the only person actually listening to RR at 4 in the morning, I feel entitled to voice my opinions concerning the dreariness of the night selection. If you don't believe me, try staying up one night - you're gonna need at least 4 pints of black coffee, and even then I bet you won't make it through to 4 am.