DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

I need a telescope teacher

Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

You may also find that Doug Daniels , the Astronomy Secretary at the Hampstead Scientific Society on astronomy@hampsteadscience.ac.uk could offer good advice from a distance - you'd have to give him details of your telescope as they are used to a 6 '' Cooke refractor and probably don't have quite so much light pollution as you get in Monaco.stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 14 years ago

Here's another link that could help out: http://skyandtelescope.com/howto/scopes/

Sorry no image available

The point is, Max, I'm not sure that such people as telescope teachers exist - I could be wrong of course, and I wish you luck in your search.

The link I posted, however, was in a genuine effort to help out, as I'm sure the previous contributors' postings were - there's really no need to be so sniffy!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Suggest you call the Observatory on Mont Boron in Nice - they may be able to assist .stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

If it was in the PJ i wouldnt need to come onto this site and i think that is the case for a lot of the 10,110 members of AI however hopefully your sarcasm has now ended.

I posted the message in the hope of finding someone who was a member of AI who had either had telescope lessons already hence would be able to recommend a teacher, or indeed someone who was a teacher themself however so far that does not seem to have happened.

Max

Sorry no image available

Max,

Try also this link which has FAQs on how to use a telescope. Or why not get a book on the subject? 

Apologies in advance if this still doesn't answer the original question. I did check, but the section listing voluntary part-time english-speaking telescope instructors seems to be missing from the pagesjaunes, somehow..

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Knowing what ought to be at a given point in the sky is a key element in using a telescope. Programmes such as RedShift and sites such as NASA's provide that information, which may make a teacher unnecesary. There's a good list of planetarium software here, including pointers to free tools. Essentially, they let you program in your location and the date & time, and give you a picture of the sky above you.

Then it really is pretty much a question of lining things up roughly by using big, easy-to-see  objects (Venus, say, or ursa major) and then looking in the "narrow end".

There are also excellent books on using telescopes (although they mainly major on "understanding the night sky", which is actually the important bit) - try Amazon, for example.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Maybe we could get back to the actual subject of this posting....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Morton-188572 - 14 years ago

Thanks for that, Tarquin, it's a marvellous site - as one would expect from nasa I suppose!Pam

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarquin-188748 - 14 years ago

No need for a telescope or CD rom with this site:

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/