DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

I need help with my website

Posted by patdumas - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to know how may people visit the website of my company...   please help!

Thanks

Pat

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

the prob with counters is every time the page is opened the increment so if I open the same page 5 times a day it increments by 5,.... but why would I open the same page 5 times a day, Mike I am interested in how else they can be innaccurate if you can fill me in I'd appreciate it.

Collie21

hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

The short answer to the question actually asked ("...any way to know how may people visit the website...") is "no".

There is no technical way of measuring this, even if you insist on all users being registered and having to log in (people share logins, or have more than one...).

By analysing the Web server's logs (which do - or should - record every action by everyone using the site) you can find out various things such as how many page views you are getting (a fairly useful number) and how many "unique user sessions" (which used to be a fairly useful number as it sort of mapped roughly on to the number of people, but it doesn't any more as cacheing/firewall/dynamic IP-type technologies have evolved so is now a pretty useless number).

You can also use client-side "hit counters", or those provided by third parties, but they are wildly inaccurate, in my experience.

Mike