DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

I need to learn Portuguese...

Posted by Zeynep-183200 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zeynep-183200 - 14 years ago

Yes, I found quite a few language schools in Nice, but none seem to be teaching Portuguese.

Funny you should post Pluriel Langues - that is where I learned French when I first moved here three years ago. I doubt if they teach Portuguese, but I just wrote them a mail anyway.

Re Latin languages - I am quite fluent in French, which I hope will help with Portuguese.

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Zeynep

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I think there must be more than one language school in Nice that teaches Portuguese. Have you checked the Yellow Pages or done a web search?

http://www.pluriel-langues.com

As to pointers: First, if you have a good knowledge of another Latin-based language, you would do better with private classes. I liked the BBC's "Discovering Portuguese" which comes with tapes and isn't boring. Even if you find some classes it's a good idea to get this, as a big problem with Portuguese is understanding the spoken language and then mastering some of the nasal bleating sounds to reproduce it!

And if you really have no choice, I would--at least for the beginning level, choose the Italian over a Brazilian teacher, because although Brazilian is initially easier to understand, the grammar and spelling are a bit different. If you study with a Brazilian, you'll have a hard time understanding the Portuguese!

I used to work with a Brazilian and he recounted that on a trip to Europe, he and his wife were on a bus, trying to figure out what language a couple near them were speaking. He said, "We finally discovered, to our horror, that it was Portuguese!"   :-)

Of course, you could always go to Portugal to learn...

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zeynep-183200 - 14 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Lana.

Actually, I spoke to Regency today. Apparently, a Portuguese teacher will arrive in a week or two, but unfortunately he is Italian. They assure me he does not have an accent, but, well, I'd rather learn from a native speaker.

Would you be able to give me any other pointers? I spoke to the Portuguese Consulate in Monaco, and they were most unhelpful. The only other option I can see is to run an ad in the Nice-Matin for a Portuguese teacher...

Zeynep

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

http://www.regency-lang-schoolmc.com

I loved learning Portuguese! Of course I already spoke fluent Spanish at the time, so it was just a matter of learning the differences and then mastering the pronunciation. In my case, had to contact the Portuguese Consulate in New York to find someone to teach me, as ALL Portuguese classes there were of the Brazilian variant--big difference!

Boa sorte!
Lana