DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ideas for a Saturday job?

Posted by HomeSecretary - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouiseLL - 5 years ago

Well there you go! I know that the Confiserie have been getting rid of people recently, but like every year, they are bound to start taking on people again from March or so, in the lead up to Easter. And how about the perfume factories in Grasse therefore? I would imagine they are regularly seeking bilingual students in the same way as the Confiserie do.

Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by HomeSecretary - 5 years ago

Oh LouiseLL, you are such a star!  How could I not have thought of the confiserie?!  It is around the corner from us as well - that will be our first port of call :)

And for all the people who were worried about her travelling to India on her own, be reassured, it is a fully structured programme from a reputable UK charity org and the kids are fully supervised with a local team.  

She wanted to do this now as a "taster" programme to have an idea of whether she might want to do something similar for a gap year before going to uni.

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful indeed!

Sorry no image available

Squeaky,

Yes, even babysitting work should be declared - but does anyone do this???!

As for travelling "alone" at 16, I can only assume that she will be travelling with a team of competent people, surely?

Also, I have several friends here whose children have worked part-time at the age of 16, for example in the local Confiserie (sweet factory) where they employ students for guided tours all year round. Saturdays and Sundays are particularly useful for both parties, as that's when most of the tourists turn up at this time of year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

To the OP - even babysitting work is supposed to be declared and social charges paid as for any other paid employment in France and anything else is illegal.

In answer to your question, I know of only one person in over 12 years of living here who's secured a Saturday job. She is studying her BTS in sales management (so after BAC Pro) and works at our local Telephone Store each Saturday when she doesn't have studies.

16 is very young to be travelling to a country alone such as India isn't it?  I know people do, but it's a long way away if there's a problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

trae1107

I'm not quite sure what you mean by liability laws. The minimum legal age for employing anyone in France is16 (from 14 in school holidays only) with permission from their legal representative. Employment law is exactly the same for a 16 year old under the Code du Travail as anyone else. 

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1649.xhtml

Why can't you 'put' your 16 year old on site as a stagiaire?  He doesn't have to be fully declared on a CDD contract.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/F20559.xhtml

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

I think perceptions of the 'work ethic' are slightly different in France and the UK. In the UK, often the incentive to work seemed principally materialistic, whereas in France there is more of an effort to put it into the context of social responsibility - you work in order to contribute to society, not because you want a new car or a bigger TV.

That aside (sorry!) - this sounds like a very good cause, and I think if she got involved in sponsored events she should be able to raise a fair amount. Can she and her friends bake cakes, is she sporty, will her school or the commune support her efforts and help her organise some fund raisers?

Sorry no image available
Posted by EnglishhRose100 - 5 years ago

I have a suggestion, please email me. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by trae1107 - 5 years ago

Hi - fully agree with last posting. It does teenagers the world of good to realise that work is how you earn money to do the things you want to do. Mine both try to do bits and pieces here and there, but as previous posting, in France, the concept of Saturday jobs etc just doesn't exist due to liability laws. As a building company, we can't even put our 16 yr old on site for experience, unless he's fully declared on a CDD - etc etc. Annoying and doesn't really help with the learning of the work ethic, does it?!

Sorry no image available
Posted by HomeSecretary - 5 years ago

Fashion1, we are already supporting her by paying half her trip and payiçng her to babysit our younger one, but just can't afford the full cost.

Plus we also believe that it is good for children who have a goal to work towards it rather than have mummy and daddy just putting their hands to their pockets everytime they want something, so are firmly encouraging her to find a job, be it babysitting, tutoring or something else if she can get it.

Louisell, thanks for the website, we'll have a look at that today.

Sorry no image available

I think babysitting is probably a good solution! I've also recently heard about this "jobbing" trend, where people help each other out by doing odd jobs, running errands, doing short translations, etc. There's a website called http://www.youpijob.fr (and there are probably others too). You type in your location and see what comes up.

Good luck anyway, hope she finds something and manages to finance her trip.