DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ideas for where to live in the Cote D'azur?

Posted by Bungee-196630 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I'm a 25 year old IT professional female, based in the UK, and planning on working from our Sophia-Antipolis office for about 6 months, starting September/October.

I would like suggestions on where would be a good place to live during this time, in terms of local culture, activities and night life. So far Juan les pins sounds ideal, also because it is close to Sophia-Antipolis. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Bungee :-)

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 13 years ago

hi, you should come to the cote d'ázur  for a weekend in the 3rd week of september and you will clearly understand what nice, antibes and cannes are all about.

each one caters for a different kind of person.

Nice in winter partying for sure

Antibes in winter is for boat people that have a good contract or long-term olders expats.

Cannes I am not sure what is offers in winter?  Any ideas Jonboy?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bungee-196630 - 13 years ago

Perhaps Antibes is the best place to live then?!?  In between both Cannes and Nice and close to work.  I have until November to decide, still stuck in the UK unfortunatly :-(  Because I will only be there for 6 month, I dont want to risk living in a place that is not sociable, hence living centrally to these places is probably the best compromise.  I guess it also depends on the people I meet, and where they live!  Too many unknowns!

Thanks for all the suggestions anyways!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 13 years ago

I recommend <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cannes over and above the main CdA towns and cities.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The service providers are generally more helpful, friendlier and willing to please.

There is an excellent range of shops, restaurants and other facilities.

People smile at each other.

It is much cleaner, with very little dog poo and grafitti.

It is also more chic with a nicer ambience and sandy beaches.

Despite what the Nicoise may say, it is not dead in the winter.

I give Cannes 8 out of 10, Antibes 7 out of 10 and Nice 6 out of 10.

Sorry no image available

commute from central nice (palais de justice car park) to central sophia (bus station) haut sartoux is about 40 mins eachway via the A8.

Sorry no image available

would agree that antibes is dead in winter...

...nice is the only university town in the area and hence has more to offer...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 13 years ago

The bars close at 12:30 in Antibes in the winter, although there are other watering holes that stay open later...so I'm told ;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bungee-196630 - 13 years ago

So is there absolutley NO nightlife in Antibe during winter? What time do bars stay open till?

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesh19 - 13 years ago

And the rest in the summer

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 13 years ago

Well I like Antibes but yes it is fairly quiet in the winter, downtown Nice is still happening though. But the commute from central Nice to Sophia...daily that must take you what 45min to 1.5hrs?

Sorry no image available

Hi,

In winter everywhere is dead around the area apart from Central Nice.

I would suggest that you live around old nice and get the sophia express (bus service) to and back from work.

I am an IT professional as well and work for SAP in Sophia, I live in Old Nice. 

I used to live close to Sophia but it was dead in winter.