DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Immigration to Canada

Posted by Kevin Griffin-194530 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Can anyone advise me on which is the best method for a family of 4 to immigrate to Quebec?We have lived in France for the past year and will have our own funds to go with.

I have looked at loads of various sites(inc.official sites)but can't really find what I need.If I fill in the normal evaluation it comes back negative.

My boss here in France wants me to go over to Montreal area to work for him(buying/shipping).He is French and used to live there and had a business there,however,he recently sold it.I am not so sure what other connections he has there.He is always so tied up with things that I've decided to try and find things out,so I can get things moving.

He says there would be no problem for a family to go,especially as I could have work from the first day(or even become a partner in a new business with him).

If anyone knows which is the best way to go about I would be very grateful for the help.

Thanks.              Kevin                    kevin.griffin@wanadoo.fr  

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mdcaprino - 13 years ago

Sorry Samantha, but I do know what you mean about visiting as a tourist.  For example Vancouver is known to be a place where there is loads of rain (like England) but I've visited there many times and it's been sunny almost every time.

I do believe it's good to be optimistic but also realistic and prepared.  I know a lot of people who are just miserable from the cold when having to deal with it for months on end (lots of depression, etc...)  -they would do almost anything to live in a climate like here but most cannot.

I guess you'll just have to experience it yourself.  We're just forwarning you that's all.  I wish I had more accurate information about certain things before moving to France.  We would still have moved but would have avoided some costly mistakes.

The bottom line is that you're grownups.  Do what you like.  I think it's great that you are seeking information like this.  It can only help.

Excellent point about the exchange.  I hadn't thought of that.  Although when you live there it's all relative until you want to spend your money outside Canada.

Shops?  Yes they have shops.  You can get pretty much anything you can get here.  Wine and beer is more expensive than here but you can bring your own bottle of wine to some restaurants.

DnM

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

Actually, DnM, I have been to Montreal during the winter (and the weather was cold but beautiful), but only as a tourist, so maybe I lucked out and got sunny days. But anyways, Kevin, I think you should continue to be positive about trying to move - people who spend their time "expecting the worst" often end up with exactly just that.  And good point about the currency exchanges Alanea!

-Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alanea-182633 - 13 years ago

Hi Kevin;

Not meaning to dampen your enthusiasm, but, there is one more thing you need to think about (besides the weather and I'm in Toronto...it's cold...it's one of the reasons I'm moving to France)...that other thing is the currency.  Have a look at the Canadian dollar in relation to other currencies...it's not a pretty picture...other than Canada it only has buying power in third world countries.  See if your boss will pay you in Euros or U.S dollars.

Alanea

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kevin Griffin-194530 - 13 years ago

My friend who lives here,went to Montreal last Jan/Feb,it was very cold(she thought -50)but it did not seem to be that cold.In fact she loved it that much that it is in her mind to move there also(her best friend and family moved there last year).

To start with,we would need to live north of the river,so maybe outside of the doom and gloom of city life?Montrel would just be the starting point for me,after which I could move around more.

As for the wife,she say's she "don't care what the weather is like...WHAT ABOUT THE SHOPS???????(typical!)

Kevin

Sorry no image available
Posted by mdcaprino - 13 years ago

It doesn't sound as if Samantha has ever been to Montreal. 

The sunny winter days are really quite rare there.  If you talk about Calgary or Banff or Saskatchewan, then I would agree with her and you about the beauty. 

Unfortunately, that's about 4000 kilometers from Montreal. 

Don't expect anything like the Alps.  Your picturing the rockies I'm afraid.

Winter in a big city in Montreal is really rather ugly and annoying. Expect dark days and a damp cold that goes right through you.  When it does snow, it'll look good for about a day, then get all brown.  It then becomes a real hinderance (hard to walk on the sidewalks, really difficult to park your car).

In the west, however, the climate is considerably drier which makes the cold easier to bear.  They also have quite a bit of sunshine which gives you those beautiful crisp days when you hear your boots sqweak as you walk on the snow and you feel your nose hairs freezing up plus tons of snow. Alberta and BC also give you the beautiful mountains you like(Whistler BC is 5000 kms from Montreal). 

I spent at least two weeks every winter in Northern Saskatchewan as my grandmother lived there and it was great fun. 

I would really expect the worst from Montreal if I were you.  I really love the kind of winter that you guys are describing too. 

The stark reality is that you ain't going to get it in Montreal.

Why not visit there this February and see for yourself?

DnM

Sorry no image available

You are right Samantha! I love snow also,and it never feels like christmas without it.Back in the "old days"(que the HOVIS music)the seasons were more as they should be rather than all this mish/mash we have now(can I say mish/mash?Oh well I just have).When we were in Val D'Isere and the snow was about,I could not stay in,I just love it.And,NO I am not really a skiier(went on the beginners runs(free),got all the equipment out of the rubbish bins as they restocked for the new season).Snow(usually)brings out the kid in me(although I'm probably like that most of the time!).

It's true there are blue skies also in France during winter,and it's great to see them,with the snow standing against them.We live up towards Allos,just below the snowline(see villa/chalet for sale at St Andre les Alpes.in accommodation available)just over an hour from Nice.My kids(7&9) learnt to ski with the school here last season,so now they can teach me again.

Thanks for your positive input on the weather(I thought I must be going crazy,feeling the same way about it).

Kevin

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

It's true that Montreal has very long, cold, and snowy winters, but that's not always a bad thing - there are millions (or at least thousands) of people who absolutely LOVE winter.  Good thing most of them live in Canada or the northern US!  *S*  I know for me personally, winter, and especially Christmas, just isn't the same without the snow and the cold (though I definitely don't miss driving on ice or during a blizzard).  Anyways, the point is, cold winters aren't all that bad - they bring all kinds of wonderful activities, especially for children - winter carnivals, outdoor ice skating/hockey, sledding, snowball fights, building snowmen, etc etc.. 

And they're normally not that depressing either, unless you are really sensitive to the shorter daylight hours - winter days are normally filled with blue skys and sunshine, not the gray clouds and gloom of France (at least in my region), making the cold a lot easier to bear.

-Samantha

Sorry no image available

I'm going through the MRS's drawers right now,looking for her thermals!

Kevin??

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

I've been to MTL many times and yes, it is a great city BUT do not underestimate the winters, as others have pointed out. VERY cold, very much snow, even until mid-march....those winters are very long and depressing. Just be prepared for it.

Sorry no image available

Somebody I work with,who now lives in Nice,came over from Montreal back in the 90's and he insists it's a great life over there,and he is going to return early next year for a long vacance(or more).

So,heres hoping.                 Kevin.