DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

importing a car from germany

Posted by loulou22 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I live in France but would like to buy a secondhand car i have seen which is in Germany. We registered our British car (also old!) with no problems however i have heard you need to be the owner of the vehicle for six months before you can re-register it in France...is this essential? Also, I was wondering if that requirement was connected to customs tax...the car is only cheap and a bargain so i wouldn't have thought the tax would be that much...is it possible to get round the six month rule by paying the tax?

Would be most grateful for any advice.

Best Regards

Lou 

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

The note in AngloInfo implies that you have to have owned the car for 6 months, but this is no longer true for EU cars.  You can go to Belgium or Germany and buy a second-hand car there and then bring it here the next day and register it without paying any French taxes (other than the carte grise).  If you buy it from a dealer or a company you pay them whatever VAT is due (this is normally included in the purchase price).

In Belgium you can get a temporary plate for about 30E that lets you drive it to France and register it here (plates belong to a person, not a car) I think in Germany there is something similar.

Once the car is registered here, you can sell it on the next day.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago