Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Income Tax

Posted by harding-195604 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

If you are in the position where it could go either way, the tax is much less in France for all but the highest incomes. 

It is different for social security of course, there it is much higher in France.


Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

The french tax year runs from Jan-Dec. It sounds as though you have been in France for more than 183 days in calendar year 2004 so in theory you have been resident in France rather than the UK and therefore liable for french income tax and social security.The french pay in arrears after completing a tax return for the previous year at the beginning of a year so you would need to make a french declaration in early 2005 for income in 2004. You could always talk to your local french tax office (although they might just suggest you pay taxes in the UK as they did to me even though I am permanently in France).Have you read http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/2/intax.aspHave you any other UK colleagues at work you could talk to to find out what they have done?There is a French government explanation of taxes athttp://www.impots.gouv.fr/deploiement/p1/fichedescriptive_1006/fichedescriptive_1006.pdfsee pages 16 onwards for income tax and 30 onwards for social security