DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Info needed for Brits marrying in France

Posted by Sophie-182589 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gillian.crossley-179878 - 13 years ago

A blessing or a legal marriage?

If it's a blessing that you are looking for Father Ken from the Anglican church in Nice it great. Lovely man.
You won't be able to use the French Catholic churches but there is a private chapel in Biot that my friends have just hired for their services and reception. Father Ken insists on sacred ground and this chapel met all the requirements.

Get in touch if you need more info.

Gill

Gillian Crossley

Sorry no image available
Posted by jivebaby-189615 - 13 years ago

www.prettys.co.uk

their are several regimes (four I think) and you need to choose with care which one you adopt - decision largely depends upon your economic status/level , first or subsequent marriage/s and children and from which marriage and where you intend to be domiciled.

Many lawyers will perhaps disagree, but a knowledgeable accountant is perhaps a better choice. I used this route and was then able to instruct the notiare appropriately.

Good luck.

JiveBaby

Sorry no image available
Posted by CaroW-190284 - 13 years ago

The British Emabssy in Paris web site also has lots of advice, and forms you can down load.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bonjermatey-185917 - 13 years ago

You have to live here (or use an addresss of a friend, by changing the name on a telephone bill or edf etc) to get legally married here ie registry office (Marie) and you have to have the legal wedding first before any church will allow you to marry.

You need blood tests (blood group, hereditary diseases, hiv etc) and doctors certificates, birth certificates in english and french, justificative de domicile, and other paper work that must all be no more tha 3 months old(we married here a year ago and although there was a lot to get together it wasn't so difficult as we lived here and spoke fluent french) but for anyone who doesn't live here it would be almost impossible!

I do know of a vicar who will marry you whatever, but not in a church and it won't be legally recognised in UK or here. We used him for the english ceremony after the registry office and we got married in the garden of a villa. So best and easiest if they marry in UK legally and marry here for fun...

Hope this helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 13 years ago

Hi Sophie, you can look on this page: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/marriage.asp

Basically, one of them must have been resident in France for up to 3 months do the "legal" part. However, if they can have a "blessing" in France.