DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Intentional community, can we set one up?

Posted by HappySoul-322168 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by 785biot@gmail.com - 6 years ago

Look into a SCI and get a good lawyer that knows about SCI.

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 6 years ago

I think you could probably do this as an SCI which should settle the problems of future selling out/inheritance
Best of luck with your project

Sorry no image available
Posted by HappySoul-322168 - 6 years ago

I'm looking for positives here, not negatives, please. Problems are there for dealing with later.

FYI the community I was in was co-owned on a trust deed, but the usual UK model is as a housing co-op. Here, a syndic wholly run and owned by it's members may be a way forward as long as each member's property was identifiable, with charges to cover the jointly-owned parts, but a co-op must be possible one way or another and is preferable. I'm not an expert on this side of it, one or more of the group we form will have to be!

L

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lots-322716 - 6 years ago

I don't know your knowledge of French property law, but this would be an extremely difficult thing to do here.

I say this because of the inheritance laws and also what if one of the buyers wanted to sell their part. How would they ever be able to do that? If one of the members died their part would by law have to go to their heirs and this property could never be sold in the future in its entirety without agreement from all parties. 12 people all wanting to move on/sell at the same time - I'd have thought that would be a miracle.

You say you used to live in such a property in England, but did all the occupants part own it?