DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet/computer settings problem

Posted by ifs-194624 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi

I have just bought a new laptop and find that altho' I can access the internet, it will not accept a click on the 'grey boxes' some sites have, ie like paypal or even angloinfo's 'post new message' box!

Also when I try to log into my wanadoo account, it accepts the password stage, says 'done' on the bar, bottom left of screen.  But I have only a view of the wanadoo logo bar at the top, absolutely nothing else.

One other site says if you see this page your computer does not accept urls (or something like that!).

Any pointers very gratefully received. I presume it's a settings problem somewhere, maybe even on the norton anti-virus that came preloaded on the computer?

Advance thanks to anyone who can help!

Ian.

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by grizzly-195735 - 13 years ago

Download and run http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/, you'll still need a firewall though

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

quote:Knowing that new computers will be attacked as soon as they are linked to the internet, why don’t manufacturers put in a fire wall so that the anti virus can be updated before viruses come in??

Windows XP comes with an inbuilt firewall (not the best admittedly but a good start until you download something like zonealarm - www.zonelabs.com ).

To activate it click Start -> connect to -> Show all connections -> right click on your internet connection and select advanced and check the box for Internet connection firewall - you'll have to disconnect and reconnect for it to be applied.

Routers usually come with a hardware firewall built in and neither will help with Antivirus updates, thats up to your antivirus software.

As to angelfire - not been there recently but you could try a pop up stopper - the google toolbar has quite a good one - free download from www.google.co.uk

Sorry no image available
Posted by ifs-194624 - 13 years ago

Reinrev and Legend, thank you.  Changing the privacy cookie level actually didn’t  help but from there I got to changing the internet security level from the default setting of medium to medium-low and that has solved the problem.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now just need to kill some website that opens itself continually, angelfire.com.  (And did so before the lowering of the security level).  Knowing that new computers will be attacked as soon as they are linked to the internet, why don’t manufacturers put in a fire wall so that the anti virus can be updated before viruses come in??

Angelfire opens itself over any other application which is running and does so every three minutes or so.  Norton seems powerless to stop this.  Any suggestion?

Thanks again.

Ian.

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

Thanks for hopping in Ledgend. I've only just logged on now, 7 hours after your reply.  My idea was the cookies but I needed the OS to be able to tell him how to go about authorising them.

Reinrev

Sorry no image available

Thanks Legend, I'll try that when I get home.  If you don't hear from me until tomorrow, it doesn't work...!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

I suspect one of two potential issues.

The most likely is your browser not set to correctly accept cookies.  Go to Tools > Internet Options > Privacy within your Internet Explorer and see what level of privacy you have for cookies.  The settings are fairly well documented.  Lower your settings to the lowest possible, click on "OK" to confirm and try one of your problematic sites.  If that fixes your problem, then return to the settings and progressively raise the privacy level until you find the highest level at which your required sites work.

If that doesn't solve it, then I've another idea but would need more details.

Sorry no image available

Hi Reinrev

Sorry for the tardy reply, but I have to get to an internet cafe as I cannot even type/send on Angloinfo.

It's windows xp home version.  On a hp laptop. Norton 2003 anti-virus software which updates itself.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry no image available

Hi Reinrev

Sorry for the tardy reply, but I have to get to an internet cafe as I cannot even type/send on Angloinfo.

It's windows xp home version.  On a hp laptop. Norton 2003 anti-virus software which updates itself.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

Which (OS) Operating System do you have on your PC ?

Reinrev