DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet connection problem

Posted by DEAN-185206 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Can anyone help please ?                                              Tel  04 93 65 97 35     Mob  06 22 34 05 23

For the past two weeks I have had Internet connection problems as soon as I select the Internet Explorer icon, a Microsoft message pops up which says that Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close down and then asks me to send an automatic error report. There is also a message which says ‘ This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.’

The screen freezes and I must pull the plug to switch off the computer and upon boot up it goes through the usual scan for errors and finds none.

No viruses  found having scanned hard disc C drive with two Anti Virus  programmes.

Occasionally maybe once out of ten attempts I can get into my Hotmail messages, but it wont open any attachments.

I  e mailed Microsoft from a Cybercafe  who suggested I uninstall Internet Explorer and  uninstall later version.  I did manage to update the Internet explorer version 5.00.  2614    35001S   to the version 6 SP1

But I am still receiving the same messages on the screen.

Microsoft then said that perhaps I should contact the manufacturer of the hardware. I contacted the manufacturer of the computer four days ago but no response as yet.

I pass through a cheaper phone line company ( no problem with previous computer for two years ) called Free Telecom.  Also the telephone works OK.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The external modem is an ELSA Microlink 56k Fun which has always worked OK.

Also the computer itself continues to work perfectly.

I would be grateful for any advice you may have.

Many thanks,

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Adrian   (  Antibes )  

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

I would also recommend trying a different browser, although I imagine that you will have the problem that you can't download a new browser without having a working one to begin with. Here's how you can download the Mozilla Firefox browser (which is far superior to Internet Explorer, in my opinion) using command-line FTP instead:1. Open Notepad, and copy and paste the following lines into a new file:open ftp.mozilla.organonymousanonymous@anonymous.comcd /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.8/recv FirefoxSetup-0.8.exequitid=code>id=code>Save this new file as C:\firefox.txt2. Click Start | Run and type "cmd" to open a command prompt. Enter the following commands:cd \ftp -s:firefox.txtid=code>id=code>This will (hopefully) download the Firefox browser for you (about 6.5 MB, so probably around 20 minutes on a dialup). You won't see the download status while it's downloading, so probably best to go away and make a cup of tea :)3. After it's finished downloading, you will be back at the C:\&gt1; prompt again. Quit the command prompt (by typing "exit"), go to My Computer, and on your C: drive you should see the file FirefoxSetup-0.8.exe. Run this file to install Firefox, which you can then use in place of Internet Explorer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 14 years ago

I have a fire wall on the pc, I use zone alarm after last years net big hit....ZA is free to personal users...( this is not meant to be an ad ) the latest nasties around can cause havoc with IE......also the pc is naked to the net......ever heard the HD rattling away when on the net...well someone is being nosey....

Also have you emptied the internet temp folder this sometimes gets to big for the HD and slow things up......I do this every night ...... i brush my teeth.....while thats happening....

Also if you have not such large mo keep the inbox to the min ....i keep my mo to about 60 + %....

if you go onto the Microsoft site there is one area that can look at your pc securely and detect whats missing and suggest updates.....I did this recently and it updated IE 6 etc.....

have fun

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

Have a look at the following web page : www.support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831432 and see if this will help diagnose your problem

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

Try installing another browser, Mozilla, Netscape, OperaJ