DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet without a phone line?

Posted by gofrance - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 15 years ago

Thanks. I keep getting conflicting information from various wireless shops. Some say you can only access certain sites (like the list of i-mode sites), some say you can't do it at all (I know that's wrong), etc. Do you know of any who offer good services, or what the price scheme typically is???

Sorry no image available
Posted by bevm - 15 years ago

Hi there,

Vodaphone have produced 'phone line free mobile modem card' which you insert into your laptop which does not use a phone line.  I have tried this route but it was none too successful and I ended up getting a refund for the product as there appeared to be too many teething problems with it but It may be worth approaching them now to see whether they have ironed out a few of the bugs.

Regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 15 years ago

Using GPRS for general surfing is incredibly expensive.  If you have a POP email account and use a mail client like outlook, it is feasible to check your mail using an ordinary GSM.  This is what I do when I am travelling.

You have to set up outlook to just download the headers, then you can get just the emails you really want to see.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 15 years ago

Using GPRS via your mobile is probably the best you can do realistically.  The WiFi solution might be provided by a WiFi Internet Service Provider like : http://www.bizzgo.com/ but I have no idea if you are anywhere near their coverage area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 15 years ago

hava a look here

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Technically there are many ways to get Internet access (TCP/IP) without using a phone line.  In fact, from a pure technical point of view, a phone line is nearly the worst of all options.

However this is theory and the practical limitations mean that any other way is either going to cost you a LOT more or it will only be available for a reasonable fee if you subscribe to other services as well (e.g. cable TV, special electricity contracts, special CCTV monitoring, etc.)

Cable availability depends on where you live and there is no cable service that will sign you up for less than the France Telecom basic POTS (plain old telephone service). 

POTS will cost you 13 Euros/month with 46 Euros installation fee (23 if you can show student status).  Your contractual obligation is 1 year upon which you can usually avoid penalty fees for early cancellation if you transfer your line to new address (standard cost is another 46 Euros plus a further 25 Euros if you want to maintain the original number).

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

It'll cost you...

With a GPRS-enabled cellular telephone and a GPRS account, you can connect a suitably-equipped computer to the Net via wireless telephony. "Suitably-equipped" probably means "with Bluetooth" as that is how most GPRS-enabled telephones communicate with other devices.

However, you'll need a minimum 12-month contract on the phone; I don't believe that GPRS is available on any of the Pay as you Go schemes. If you're getting a portable anyway, then this might be an option.

Alternatively, if someone else in your building has an ADSL connection you might be able to come up with a way in which you connect via their connection (either by WiFi if they have - or you can install for them - a wireless router or a peer-to-peer WiFi network, or via a length of Thin Ethernet cable that goes out of one window into another and networks your computer with theirs...).

Me, I'd use cybercafes for a month...

Mike