DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Invected with Britney Spears.........

Posted by Palmtrees-188751 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Palmtrees-188751 - 14 years ago

Trojan Guarder also worked a treat - its up to full speed again.  Hope this helps others aswell!   Palmtrees

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 14 years ago

Bravo, Dublin Mike,

You're right!

Francis

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

may I use this opportunity to spead my own personal mantra; which is to stop sending jokes and other little 'heart-warming' messages to lists of friends.

goodness know how many thousands of spams I've received as a result of this cyber-drivel.

What happens is that the jokes etc are forwarded from bunches of friends to more bunches of friends (girsl seem to like doing this stuff) and the email headers satay intact with everyone's address recorded along the way.

With propogation it's only a matter of time before someone who collects addresses gets a copy and in this case the spammer KNOWS all the addresses are good.

So please, write proper mails to your friends, don't forward emotio-babble that masks it's real purpose...collecting email addresses.

Sorry no image available

Thanx again!   The Trend Micro picked up the Netsky virus.  

I'm going to try the other suggestions aswell as things still seem very slow.  

After that I will install a spell-chekker!!!!      

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 14 years ago

Hello Palmtrees (I like the name),

I got this advice from a techie friend in the States. It worked !

Go to AVG and download their free edition at :

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php 

I hope it helps,

Francis

Sorry no image available

Yes, I should have said "known" sender.    Will try all of the above, thanks for the help.  Palmtrees

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

It's highly unlikely that the virus actually came deliberately (or evn knowingly) from a known sender - any half-way competent virus writer knows how to "spoof" trusted e-mail addresses.

What happens is (often) this:

A friend of yours (Friend "A") gets an e-mail apparently from someone they know; as that person is "trusted", they open the e-mail and in so doing infect their PC with a virusThat virus then trawls through its new host's address book, e-mail folders and/or hard disks, harvesting any and all e-mail addresses it can findIt then sends itself to those e-mail addresses (with the owner of the PC often being blissfully unaware), typically using one of the harvested addresses as the "from" address.You get an e-mail "from" (and there's a reasonable probability operating here) Friend "B", someone you know and trust. You open the e-mail and...

Only Friend "B" had nothing to do with it; the e-mail has been sent because both you and Friend "B" know Friend "A". However, there is no real evidence of Friend "A"'s (essentially innocent) involvement, as the virus writer is a clever little beggar who wants the virus to spread without its propagation being easy to track.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by plusate - 14 years ago

It sounds like you might have a trojan horse, if trend micro doesnt detect anything then try the trial version ofTrojan Guarder from http://www.your-soft.com/

Or Spybot which is available from www.download.com

I had the same problem and kept getting IEXPLORE.EXE errors everytime i typed in a website address. These programs sorted it out...

Cheers Rob

Sorry no image available

Thanks, I will try that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Go to Trend Micro and do a free online virus scan of your PC and see if that does the trick. I believe you may have the Netsky virus or variant. Next thing to do is to go to the Microsoft site and apply any security patches you may have missed.

Lana