DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Is it true about stewardess'?

Posted by Great Dame - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I am considering unleashing my attractive young niece onto the yachts for a season as she wants to be a stewardess on her gap year. Getting work is not the problem.  

I have however been warned that stewardesses are treated badly on the smaller boats, as sexual objects and with no respect. Can anyone tell me if these stories are rarities? I wouldnt want to risk her getting into any trouble...

a very worried aunt 

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

I'm afraid I was being frivolous about the chain locker ! I would agree 100% with 'Monaco Max' - these stories are a thing of the past and more often than not , wildly exagerated ! I would however advise starting on a larger vessel as perhaps junior stewardess to learn the trade so to speak , rather than a 3 man crew where your niece will probably have to do all the domestic chores, cooking and lend a hand on deck - I'm sorry to say that these days the crew are too busy and too tired by the end of a long day to even contemplate what you may have feared ! Possibly the Owners of this small yacht have asked for a female for the interior duties , in which case it's up to you to decide if this is a bona fide offer of employment and trust to your niece's common sense . I would wish to know if she has her own cabin , her rate of pay , if there is a contract or not, what Flag State the yacht is under and whether Private or Charter or both and the general conditions of her employment .

On a more romantic note - the young attractive ( intelligent ) stewardess and the good looking (ambitious ) Captain from days of yore are now happily married with loads of kids ,and running 60 metre yachts !! so it can't be all bad can it ?

Both my daughters ( blond & attractive ) have worked on the Yachts over the years and we have all come through the experience unscathed - you should perhaps re-consider your decision ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Great Dame - 14 years ago

Dear all,

Thanks for the many replies... I have decided NOT to advise my niece to venture onto the yachts.

After hearing a few horror stories now via email it isn't worth the risk, if she is going to be on a small boat with only 2 other male crew on board and anchored away for months with only MonacoMax occasionally peeking in...

enough said

Sorry no image available
Posted by martinb-185976 - 14 years ago

And that's it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Dear Auntie,

A curious posting indeed - most attractive young women , whatever realm of employment they are engaged in , will be treated as a sexual object - this is part and parcel of the propagation of the species - however when thrust together between the crews mess and the chain locker , at anchor for months on end , it's inevitable that the testorosone will come into play and sexual intercourse will take place between the hawse pipes ! I've always said that as long as they are on deck the next morning , what they get up to down below shouldn't effect their performance in front of the Owner or guests !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

quote:I am not sure whether the size of the boat will have any baring on her treatment

Slightly unfortunate typo there Max! (Or Freudian slip!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Monaco Max-189694 - 14 years ago

From my experience (so never as crew, but often as casual observer), I would say that the stories are generally myths. Providing your niece is placed by a reputable crew agency, she will have a reasonable assurance of good treatment. I am not sure whether the size of the boat will have any baring on her treatment, but I can't see why it would. As for the question of whether your niece will be treated in a sexual way, it has been my experience, that some stewardess' (this is a very small minority) actively court the sexual attention of crew and indeed guests on board. More than once I have had stewardess' giving me their numbers, inviting themselves to stay, and on one memorable occasion, actually found one in my bed! It seems to me unlikely that a stewardess will find herself compromised, and if this were to happen then a quick call to the crew agency, would see her on the next flight home.Essentially, I think, provided she chooses a boat with a similar basic itinerary as that to which she wishes to keep, with the assistance of a good agent, she will have a fantastic summer. It is comendable that you should be so concerned for her welfare, and if you're still not convinced I will gladly volunteer to keep an eye on your attractive young niece throughout the season!MAX (of Monaco)