DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Is the line at prefecture any better?

Posted by indigomonaco - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by indigomonaco - 5 years ago

It's my fourth renewal. The woman said I should get the five year.... Crossing fingers, but won't count on it until I am actually holding the card with 2018 expiry.  Will find out soon enough!  Good luck! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cwebster-320340 - 5 years ago

How long have you been in France.

I am trying to change the "titre de sejour" because I want to work in France and Monaco but its so complicated. This is my 4th year and I have had enough of the prefacture.

Do you have any advice for me

Sorry no image available

Yup, we were there two weeks ago.  Showed up just after 6:30.  Were done and out of there by just after 9:30 though, so was worth it!

Cross fingers they come through with the 5 year card this time so I don't have to do it again next year!! :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cwebster-320340 - 5 years ago

I was there last week, and it is TERRIBLE.. if you dont get there between 7;30-8;00 you will wait for ages. And i am sicka nd tired of every time i go there (even with all the papers) they always ask for something else.

This whole thing is such a waste of time when there is more than half the population of foreigners live with expired visas and people like us who do everythng legally get messed around.

Sorry, it really annoys me

Sorry no image available

Hi Francis,

Nope, not an EU national... that's why I need to go annually and renew my carte sejour.  Usually show up at 7 am and queue up until they open at 9. Then there's a mad dash for the desk once they open the doors. It's insane, especially if you have kids. But I've heard that you don't need to show up at 7am anymore??

If anyone could confirm, would be great!

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 5 years ago

Hi indigomonaco,

I don't know if you are an EU national, but if you are then I think life in France might have changed for the better...

French administrative documents now ask for 'passeporte ou carte de sejour' and I give a copy of my EU passport. My carte de sejour ran out last December and a local anglophone told me I didn't need to renew and could just use my passport as photo ID (plus providing proof of residence when needed too).

It's working so far - one big French administrative office saw no problem and told me that for EU nationals a passport is fine (now) as photo ID.  I hope it continues.

Good luck,

Francis

Sorry no image available
Posted by monaconigel - 5 years ago

Well, I live between the two and used to go to Nice prefecture until I got fed up with the queues and the fact that it was in an area with absolutely no cafes/bars etc, so I started going to Grasse and now that's where I go all the time. I've never been asked about my home location, and the fact that you can go and have a coffee whilst you wait and get new plates fitted to your car/moto in a shop directly across from the offices, swung me.

Sorry no image available

Can you go to Grasse prefecture even if you live in Nice??

Sorry no image available
Posted by monaconigel - 5 years ago

You could try the Grasse prefecture. The queues there seem to be no more than an hour, sometimes less. Take a ticket, work out how long it'll take to get to the counter and go and have a coffee in the bar at the end of the road.