DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

ISP Nice/Antibes area

Posted by RODUKE41 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Should appreciate info/recommendations for ISPs, with emphasis on low monthly cost vs hours of use & support service. I have used Wanadoo but their inability (or reluctance!) to reply in English is a real problem. They do have a Translation item but unfortunately its maximum length is too short to describe any problem.
AOL France seems more expensive for less monthly hours -- and I had some difficulty getting them to use English in our correspondence.
Over to you!

RO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by RODUKE41 - 13 years ago

Hi le'Fox:

Emailed you today at pinewoodpictures@attglobal.net and received non-delivery message. Please advise current address and I'll resend. Regards. RO

RO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 14 years ago

Now we have Wifi coming to Nice !!!!...

and MC as well...

they already broadcast tv and radio on the net so through WiFi....i wonder what rr sounds like.!!!!

one can buy and Wifi ISP out of box for £20K [about 32EK] but you will have to pay for the backhaul connect to the internet

amazing new technology...

Simon who needs a job !!!!

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by RODUKE41 - 14 years ago

MESAGE UNDELIVERABLE From : 

Robert Odell rodellpr@hotmail.com

To :  pinewoodpictures@attglobal.net  Subject :  Re internet websites blocked in France  Sent :  Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:06 PM  Hi JR le'Fox: Further to our exchange of emails 31DEC03, I hope you can explain/resolve my access problems. Assume you're not now in Seattle, but when do you expect to be inCdA this summer, and where? We leave Puerto Rico for Villeneuve Loubet early May, specifically for the Cannes Festival.Perhaps we can meet there. Meanwhile here are three addresses routinely available here but not there:spaceA@aviano.af.milspaceA@naples.navy.milwebmaster@globemaster.de.com Regards,         RORO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available

RO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available

Much obliged for your wealth of info. You make me wish I knew something about computers.By curiosity, what is the monthly (and/or hookup if needed) for the T1 interface from Telecom?Answering various issues you raised: Montfleuri in Villeneuve Loubet does not have cable; we do have two satellite dishes for our unit. We are in France only May until Sep which means monthly rather than yearly expense. Email box size is the Hotmail free service. Use is nothing like what you describe.Your other questions are far beyond my competence! It is a nuisance that Wanadoo shows "non-availability" to many addresses I use. For ex, cannot access US base at Aviano, Naples, Rota, or for that matter, even Norfolk, Virginia. No problem from here (Puerto Rico).Where are you? Happpy New Year. rodellpr@hotmail.com.RO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available
Posted by le'Fox - 14 years ago

Here's a possible tip: Contact France telecom. ask them for avaialability of a T1 interface to your address. Thay will think they have a big fish on the line and try to reel you in. IF a T1 interface can be hooked up at your address, you are on a WAN grid from your LTA that WILL allow an IDSL interface to you using redundant copper lines (two phone lines) this would give you very fast IN/OUT connection, no dial-up (always on) and unlimited monthly time (24/7/365). Quite frankly, time based internet use is ancient technology greed in my opinion and it is going to cease to exist sooner than later. Also, BIG difference between ADSL and IDSL. "A" asymetrical, requires a different POP router config. than "I" integrated. Dial-up is a dying animal. The fact is, if the black boxes at your local POP have not been switched out for the new ones, they will be soon and ADSL and IDSL will be available. have you looked at cable internet solutions (through your cable TV line)Bottom line, if you have the need to on-line that much time per month and it is really important you . . . pay for it. If you can't get what you need now and you live so far out that it won't be coming soon, you may consider moving. additional considerations are; What size is your eMail box??? what is the file throughput size maximum, if any??? How slow does your ISP have their connections scaled to?? I have a service that offers 200 meg eMail box, unlimited file size throughput and no down scaled servers, they run wide open FAST and have a limited number of users per server to keep it FAST&gt1; @ only 100 euro a year. I can send video, tons of digital shots and HUGE files, IN and OUTGood luck with I service hunt.Good luck.

Sorry no image available

HI! GOING BACK TO YOUR 3/11/03 AT 16:13 message, it lacked your email address which I'd appreciate your sending.I note my message of 4/11/03 at 14:04 was inadvertently sent to "Mike" although intended for you. Thereafter on 19/11/03 I tried again to get to you at Anglo Forum but no reply.Noting SHAMWARI/Lorraine Prendergast exchanges, I also asked for your email but to date no reply from anyone.Still look forward to hearing from you at rodellpr@hotmail.com.Regards, RORO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available

Thanks, Mike.

You have my address but I await yours as well as whether you will consider one-on-one help next May (assuming I am still breathing).

Illimite is one of the ISPs I contacted last year. Problem was no English!

Regards,  

RO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

woops - just relised that the link I gave is a bit confusing.  When you have that signup page, do not choose DSL, instead choose the second box "forfait internet illimités" and then on teh next page, choose the second box again "illimité total"

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

The Tiscali non-ADSL deal is called "Illimité Total".  You can get more information or sign up here