DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

ISP Nice/Antibes area

Posted by RODUKE41 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 18)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Salford Lad-190135 - 16 years ago

Hi Mike

I live in an area where ADSL is not available yet. I currently use Wanadoo, and pay 32 euros per month for 60 free hours, which is not enough. I also  find it to be really slow and unreliable. I have tried to find the Tiscali unlimited use site from your link, but the area I find keeps testing the line for ADSL and reporting it as unsuitable. Can you offer any help, as I am used to Tiscali as I still have a Line One - Tiscali account in the Uk.

Best regards

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

quote:For 100 hours per month online requirement there can be no other recommendation than an ADSL subscription

...unless you're in an area where ADSL is not available. In that instance, Tiscali's all-inclusive surf-till-you-drop deals of about €25 per month (dial-up) or €75 per month (64 Kbps ISDN) look pretty good.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

The generalities so far explained may be of use to future AI readers but you are now asking for details specific to your own situation - to save the AI forum the bother of seeing our dialogues at the top of the forums discussion list, I'll take up further replies by e-mail.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RODUKE41 - 16 years ago

May I suggest using email address: rodellpr@hotmail.com.Once again I much appreciate your info and suggestions.You are certainly correct re my offline unawareness, etc. For May04 I guess I'll be back on Wanadoo which has no signup fee and no extended signup contract -- in fact they usually almost double the hours for 3 summer months as a signup inducement. I did hope European ISPs would increasingly go the US route of unlimited usage, but apparently not. I should like to learn the Outlook Express use you refer to and wonder what your fee would be to spend a few hours at our condo if you are available for such instruction. Are you in the Villeneuve Loubet vicinity?

Sorry no image available

I'd advise the following based on your responses/needs ;

It seems to me that you are unaware of offline e-mail modes of working with simple tools such as Outlook Express client running to free web-based e-mail servers like Wanadoo or Hotmail or Yahoo.  (This was the reference to POP3 and IMAP4) Normally I recommend this to people to cut down the online hours if they are sensitive to ISP price.  If you have the willingness to learn then try them - they will cost nothing except some time.  Sign up for a free Wanadoo/Hotmail/Yahoo/etc. webmail account and then use the free Outlook Express program from Microsoft to download/upload from/to the servers.  See how you like that mode of working.Perhaps you are very conversant with AOL having used it in the Americas where they have gained enormous ground due to their combination of telephony access service with their value-added services.  I (like many of my colleagues) consider AOL to be nothing more than an elaborate virus and I wouldn't even touch a computer with AOL installed unless it was with the express intention of re-formatting the hard disk.  In Europe AOL does not have the telephony access advantage over the other ISPs and therefore there is no evident reason to use it.  If however you are happy with it (and incredibly millions seem to be) then I'd say keep it and try to make the best of their weird telephony access restrictions in Europe.For 100 hours per month online requirement there can be no other recommendation than an ADSL subscription.  However that will require you to minimum periods of subscription plus signup costs - something to be avoided with your alternate residence pattern unless you can recover the out of season costs from other people using the home or unless you are happy eating the costs.  (By the way, TELE2 have no signup costs and no cancellation costs offer right now),  To avoid recurring ADSL costs, if you can vastly reduce your 100 hour online time by working all your e-mail offline and just dialling up when you have a real need, I'd advise that you use Tele2 "a la minute" at 1.4 cents per minute or else Wanadoo "accès libre" at 2 cents per minute and see how you get on.

Sorry no image available

Hi Legend_in_my_Lifetime!Any further thoughts in response to my reply to you?Regards, RORO Villeneuve Loubet

Sorry no image available

Many thanks. I am obliged for all your interesting info. To answer your points:

1. I suppose full package, but without Help inasmuch as it is in French. I simply use my Toshiba 7200CTe with W98SE/IEv6 for emails and accessing websites all over the place. 

2. Dialup on basis of least expense. Plus/minus 100 hours/mo with carryover unused and month-to-month contract paying via BNP Paribas.  We are in France from early May to end of August each year.       Here in Puerto Rico I use AOL v9 whereby of course unlimited hours plus 24/7 help, tollfree. It is difficult to accept French system on these points, to include only toll numbers and then on hold for music that sometimes lasts almost the full opera.

3. Your reference to email from an operator ... free POP3 or IMAP4 (gibberish to me!) service as well as web access is certainly intriguing. It  sounds like something I very much need, but have no idea of its local availability.

4. I am not in a position to judge the market for your idea which seems to me quite desirable. Getting the word out (advertising, etc.) would seem to be expensive. Answer is to affliate with lots of Computer stores between Antibes and Nice.  I am too much of a free-loader to give an amount of Euros this would cost; most locals have the technical knowledge so it would seem you could train the sales personnel to do the job and also have a kick-back from whichever ISPs are used.  How long the job requires is another consideration.

Best regards,   RO

Sorry no image available

What exactly are you after?  Do you want a full ISP package - IP addresses, e-mail addresses, helpdesk?  Do you want classic modem dial-up or are you looking for DSL type speeds?  Approximately how many hours do you need?  There is not much point specifying "Nice/Antibes area" as the day of the local access ISP's has long passed.  There are some special deals in some city areas (linked to cable availability) but generally speaking the ISP's are all national now (and increasingly pan-European).  Specifying that the help desk responds in English is asking for a heck of a lot.  My experience is that they outsource their helpdesks to partially francophone (but not French) youngsters and even expecting good help in French from Wanadoo for example is ambitious.

That having been said, I find it more and more unusual that people experience "problems" with their ISP these days.  Most of my colleagues are now on ADSL and the Wanadoo or Tele2 services tick over like a Swiss watch. The trick is to not install all their rubbish "helper" software that comes on their CD-ROMs (TELE2 don't actually do this by the way but Wanadoo desktop software is EVIL the way it monopolises your PC)  - Just install the basic drivers for the modem and manually create a connection to the ISP and then just use your ISP for basic IP connectivity.  Get your e-mail from a reliable nofrills operator who has a free POP3 or IMAP4 service as well as web access - and you are done! 

I can guarantee the above approach works like a dream, having helped many of my non technical friends to set up their ADSL or dial-up accounts.  Perhaps there is a market opportunity out there on the CdA to help non-tech/non-francophones to set up a reliable ISP connection.  How much would you be prepared to pay for someone to do this as a home visit?