DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

job

Posted by axasxm - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 5 years ago

Make sure both of your CV's and letters of motivation in French and English are absolutely perfect orthographically and grammatically.

When I was recruiting, regardless of the position on offer, I threw out anyone's who had any mistakes because this is the first opportunity you have to impress a potential employer. 

Good luck, but if you need to work to live here, I hope you have a Plan B.

Sorry no image available
Posted by axasxm - 5 years ago

thank you for your reply... I appreciate the effort and the suggestion and ideas you shared.  Actually Im only waiting to do my second level course for french as advice by the Ofii. Im aware that unemployed is at high percentage yet still trying to find my luck in case.  I'm not expecting a good position as I know it's not gonna be easy for someone like me who can't speak fluently the french langue.  Anyway, just like you said i just need to practice more to be fluent, keep applying and above all faith and patience is a must(wink)...thanks again for your thought!

cheers and have a good life!

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

Hi axasxm

I think you put your finger on the best advice yourself - improve your French. There are very few jobs in any country where you can work in a complete expat bubble and not have to talk to the natives at all. Even if you don't have French customers to deal with you will likely have French suppliers, French service providers, French line managers and colleagues. etc, etc.

Are you registered at the Pole Emploi? They might be able to advise you on finding work and possibly put you on a French course.

Yes it is frustrating when you send off applications and don't get any reply, I suppose you have to assume that there are just too many people after too few jobs and they don't have time to write to every applicant. Don't feel victimised, there are a lot of people in the same boat, and above all you have to be persistent and keep applying. Look at it like a numbers game, the more applications you send off, the sooner it will be your turn to be lucky. Also the more practice you have the better you will get at writing them. And if your French isn't very good yet, don't aim unrealistically high, try for factory work if there is any near you. You will need basic French to understand the instructions and for safety reasons but if you can get yourself taken on, working with French speakers is by far the best way of picking the language up fast, so think of it as a springboard.

You can search here http://www.indeed.fr/ - if you want you can type 'anglais' in the box under 'quoi', and/or put your town or dept in the box under 'ou' - but you probably know this already.

Here's a map that shows unemployment figures in France region by region. Mouse over where you live to see the percentage registered unemployed there. Not sure if this will make you feel better or worse but it might help you see things in proportion so you can work out your strategy accordingly,

http://www.journaldunet.com/economie/magazine/l-economie-dans-votre-region.shtml

Bon courage