DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Job Hunting in France

Posted by wkt54-196372 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

taking your question one at a time;

quote:Can I really arrive in Antibes and sign on straight away?

Yes you can.  Any unemployed person can sign on immediately.  Whether or not you will get benefits and when they will commence/end and how much you will receive depends on various conditions.  The easiest situation is that you are already drawing benefits in the UK.  You need a detailed interview to know the answer to the benefits question.

quote:is it just a case of going to Anpe and getting onto one?

"Getting onto one" - No.  Registering for one - Yes.  The previous thread made this distinction pretty clear I believe.  They are HEAVILY sought after - be prepared to wait.

quote:Do they have a course in Antibes?

Probably.  But you may find it quicker to go wherever they suggest the next course is available.

quote:how do I get a titre de sejour?

I think the previous thread explained this.  You don't need one to get on a language course.  It is only necessary (still) in the case you wish to receive the remuneration (currently about 450 Euros/month)

Sorry no image available

taking your question one at a time;

quote:Can I really arrive in Antibes and sign on straight away?

Yes you can.  Any unemployed person can sign on immediately.  Whether or not you will get benefits and when they will commence/end and how much you will receive depends on various conditions.  The easiest situation is that you are already drawing benefits in the UK.  You need a detailed interview to know the answer to the benefits question.

quote:is it just a case of going to Anpe and getting onto one?

"Getting onto one" - No.  Registering for one - Yes.  The previous thread made this distinction pretty clear I believe.  They are HEAVILY sought after - be prepared to wait.

quote:Do they have a course in Antibes?

Probably.  But you may find it quicker to go wherever they suggest the next course is available.

quote:how do I get a titre de sejour?

I think the previous thread explained this.  You don't need one to get on a language course.  It is only necessary (still) in the case you wish to receive the remuneration (currently about 450 Euros/month)

Sorry no image available
Posted by wkt54-196372 - 13 years ago

Many thanks for your reply and link legend.

Have just read the 8 pages to the link.

I found out that you can get your umemployment benefit transferred from the UK for 3 months, using Form 303, and paid in euros - about 80 per month.

Knowing the French bureaucracy however I cannot believe it is all as simple as that.  Can I really arrive in Antibes and sign on straight away.  I will be looking for work in a restuarant only doing basics as I'm not a trained chef.

I would be interested in the lauguage course though.  I have an A in 'A' level French but have not had too much practice in conversation although my writing and grammar are good.  Again is it just a case of going to Anpe and getting onto one. Do they have a course in Antibes - travelling to Nice every day would be expensive.

Finally and I hope you don't mind these questions, how do I get a titre de sejour.

Thanks again

Ken

Sorry no image available

This link should point you in the right direction Ken.

Assedic is the unemplyment benefits service.  They register you as officially unemployed and pay your benefits if you are entitled.

ANPE is the national agency for employment.  They maintain lists of available work and they also perform assessment, coaching, re-skilling, etc.

The link above explains the subtleties and has some personal accounts of the procedure but in a nutshell, you first have to register with Assedic, then you have to apply for re-skilling at the ANPE.

Bonne Chance!