DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Job hunting rant!

Posted by GemG - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 14 years ago

Hi Chick,

No, I haven't had any luck so I've given up looking from the UK and have booked a flight to France in the hope I can at least get something to get me started.  I arrive in Nice on Sat 24 April (see my other thread).  Like you I'll start with seasonal work and see from there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chick-194409 - 14 years ago

Hi GemG,

I know you posted a while ago- just writing to say I entirely sympathise with what you've been experiencing- I hope you've found a job by now. I'm english with a degree from an english uni (left 2001) and lived over in france for 2 years doing seasonal stuff in the alps/south of france.

It was all good fun but last summer I tried to get something more permanent/career orientated- but with no luck. I tried many of the agencies on the cote d'azur-  was offered hotel work in Marseille but it just wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm currently back in the uk working in a 'graduate job' and studying towards DELF exams; I aim to return to france one day but only if i can find suitable, long-term work for myself. I think graduates, whether french/english are finding it tough. Even french friends of mine with maitrises are having to relocate across france for jobs and even to London.

I'm not sure if I've been any help; just to let you know you're not alone in your frustration.

Chick

Sorry no image available
Posted by coolas - 14 years ago

I wouldn't totally give up on the agencies...

I registered with a couple when I first arrived (January, 2 years ago) and there was pretty much nothing.  I called the same lady periodically, and at the end of April I got a call for an interview for an American company in Sophia and subsequently got a two month contract.  Over a year after the contract ended, my old boss called me up and offered me a full time gig - so it can happen!  It took a lot of time and patience... I was here for a year and a half before I got full time employment..  But I do know others who are still looking...

I feel that I was very lucky... But luck, being in the right place at the right time, all factor in to this...

Keep the faith. 

Peace and best wishes.

Sorry no image available

Crystal, I've been thinking the same thing - at least then I would be here all the time to look and would have a French address for my CV.

Black Cat, I knew about the unemployment figures before I came out and I was prepared for it to be difficult.  What I wasn't prepared for was quite how hard it is and that they ask the impossible - Bac+5, 10 yrs exp AND be only 26; I exaggerate but it isn't far off.  Whereas in the UK they look at your competences and look at what you are capable both now and in the future here it just isn't like that and I think a lot of talented young people get overlooked for that reason.

Mike you are right, I think I am going to give up on the agencies and spend the rest my time at the CCI looking for addresses to send spec letters to, since that seems to be the most popular way of getting a job here.

Sorry no image available

Crystal, I've been thinking the same thing - at least then I would be here all the time to look and would have a French address for my CV.

Black Cat, I knew about the unemployment figures before I came out and I was prepared for it to be difficult.  What I wasn't prepared for was quite how hard it is and that they ask the impossible - Bac+5, 10 yrs exp AND be only 26; I exaggerate but it isn't far off.  Whereas in the UK they look at your competences and look at what you are capable both now and in the future here it just isn't like that and I think a lot of talented young people get overlooked for that reason.

Mike you are right, I think I am going to give up on the agencies and spend the rest my time at the CCI looking for addresses to send spec letters to, since that seems to be the most popular way of getting a job here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

quote:When people said that the French didn't like young people I didn't realise to what extent that is true

I wouldn't say you're being given a rough time because you're young.  This is the way that employment agencies generally treat people,  and when you are out looking for a job you are already feeling vulnerable - sadly.  Unless you happen to ideally suit the profile of a job spec which landed on the desk of the "consultant" that morning,  or you are a highly placeable and salaried person (they see $$$$) they won't give you the time of day because it means work.  And in France,  there are another couple of factors,  firstly why would they work when they can sit on their best feature and do nothing and still get paid?  Secondly,  this is the way many people in service industries here treat their potential customers.

Another thing to bear in mind is that most of the time the agencies or their clients don't know that you have the full right to work and live in France, and they assume that employing you will be difficult, so I hope you are making it very clear that you can work in France without any formalities being carried out by them, and that they are not breaking any laws by employing you.

Good luck,  I'm sure you'll find something,  and I'm equally sure it WON'T be through an agency. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

I really sympathise with GemG in her search for a job but perhaps before coming to France (especially the South) people should look at the unemployment figures.Unemployment in France is more than twice what it is in the UK. And that's only the "official" figures. It would be safe to say that a lot of unemployment in France is, in fact, ignored. People who no longer get the dole might not be counted, people in re-training either etc etc. The real figure could well be even worse. So GemG and others beware: you have come from a country with a low unemploymernt rate to a country with a high unemployment rate. Not surprising then, that work is hard to find.Explanation but not consolation, I know. Good luck anyway GemG! You might be one of the luckier ones.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

You could always try to get a "petit boulot" in a bar/resto and hjope to meet people that will help set you on the right path.

Don't give up - being here is worth it - honest!

CB

Sorry no image available

It's a shame I didn't see your message sooner Twilight, I must have already left the internet café when you sent that.

To be honest, I'm ready to cry, or scream, or both, right now.  I've come into Montpellier and still nothing, only 2 agencies would take my CV and I can't even find Manpower - the street isn't on the map and everyone I ask tells me it is somewhere different.  Since most agencies only let you register in the morning, it is now too late.  I'm thinking of going to Marseille or Aix before I leave France but I don't know if it would be worth the train fare by the time I get there and find any agencies.

I've got a degree, some decent experience, plenty of common sense and am here for a good reason (i.e. the language and the culture rather than to just bum about in the sun) and still no-one will even give me a chance.  When people said that the French didn't like young people I didn't realise to what extent that is true, how they are ever meant to get a foot on the ladder lord alone knows.

Sorry, rant over!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I am not sure about Nimes but people tell me that it is always difficult to find people in the Cote d'Azur who speak several languages.  You still need to be able to speak French though.

Often the jobs are receptionist host/hostess sales people type jobs.

Tony