DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Joining two co-axial cables

Posted by MrFence - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

Glad it works (gosh: a 1meter dish :) )
***Google is our friend. ***

Sorry no image available
Posted by MrFence - 13 years ago

Thanks David L et al. It works, huge 1 metre dish, which I set up myself, witha heady mixture of luck and judgement, mostly luck, a 40m cable witha join, and no amplifier, having said all those nice things about that shop in Grasse, the amplifier is still not in stock, however if anyone wants one I have one for the princely sum of 23 euros, or at least I will have one soon. Thanks for the trouble you went too in order to answer my questions.

MrFence

Sorry no image available

As you are in the situation that you have to join 2 co-ax cables, the reccomended route is to use f connectors and a female f connector back to back joiner as this helps preserve the shielding throughout the run.

Make sure it is well waterproofed if it is an outside connection (use self amalgamating tape not normal PVC electricians tape). If you have problems then try connecting the box into the first part of the cable run to see if it works ok. Also, I would try it first without the amplifier as it may add extra noise if it is not designed for digital signals. Make sure you have an excellent line up on the sat or the amp will may also amplifiy the background noise causing more of a headache.

I'm sure even a 40m length shouldn't be too excessive for it as long as it is good quality co-ax cable.

Hope this helps and post back once you have done it.

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the info, it was my wife who posted the notice about being only a 20 m run, it is actually 40m and I could only find a 25m cable, hence the join. I have ordered a signal amplifier from CEF in Grasse, next to Netto in Grasse Le Plan who have been exceptionally helpful and inexpensive 1.27 euro for the F type cable joint and 23 euros for the amplifier. It should be here by the end of the week, I will post the results!

Regards

MrFence

MrFence

Sorry no image available

Still a bit worried about this "two lines joined" bit :)

the best way to connect a digi box to LNB is one single CT100 or better coax cable - ask for cable for numerique satellite. There really should be no joins or anything in the cable (including kinks or sharp coners for optimum transmission of the signal). The onlyconnections on it should be one on the LNB output and one on the Digibox input.

20m is not a long run of cable.

What is the signal quality indication on the digibox - if using a sky box go to (from memory) services - system setup - signal test. Anywhere below 50% can be a pain. Is it less than the box.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

20 metres of CT100 cable will lose around 6dB of signal. Usually that's not significant, unless your dish is really borderline on size, in which case you can fit an LNB amplifier. But your first move should be to ensure that you use a continuous length of the correct cable (CT100, H109, WF100 or better). Again, it's explained here:http://www.satcure.com/accs/page8.htm

Sorry no image available

Hi Thanks to all, we managed to get cables joined!   Now we have a new problem.  

To answer your question Davidl

We are actually trying to run a separate cable to a second digibox in the basement.  We have a dual LNB already on the dish.  Managed to get the two lines joined and a good signal quality but not sufficent strength to receive a picture on the TV in the basement.  It is quite a long run from dish to box, over 20 metres.   Will we now need some form of booster?

Thanks all advice greatfully received

MrFence

Sorry no image available

Just to add and emphasize to the other replys

Can you clarify if you are trying to get 2 sat. dish sources to one box? If you are, then it won't work without some nifty switching gear - diseq equipped boxes should be able to do this, I think, though you would need to ask somebody experienced in this (note SKY digi boxes are not diseq equipped).

The cheapest way would be to run both cables to the box and manually change cables - with the boxes turned off whilst doing this as there is low voltage present on these cables which may damage the equipment if plugged in and out all the time. (I wouldn't recommend this though as the connectors are not designed for replugging)

One sat source to 2 boxes can be done a couple of ways :-

1) A dual output LNB available in most larger supermarket electrical sections or from sat. dealers for around 70euros (Im sure they can be found cheaper if you look around)

2) The more expensive hotel type systems.

You cannot just Y split a sat cable for many reasons including signal loss( very important on Digi sat) and the control signals going back up the line for polarisation and frequency.

Hope this helps

***Google is our friend. ***

Sorry no image available
Posted by meagherp - 13 years ago

Leroy Merlin has all nearly this stuff in stock. assume you mean join a cable from a dish to another cable to a receiver? joining 2 satellite sources together and then to a receiver won't work.Peter

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

Read this page. I think it answers your question better than I could:http://www.satcure.com/accs/page8.htm