DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Just curious

Posted by linzi-mermaid - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I was wondering what the pro's and Con's are of living in the south of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />France? Ste and I have visited South of France many times we have looked at houses there too. We plan to move in the next year. In my opinion from visiting (possibly a little naive ;)) it is all sunsets, Rivera radio with the roof down, coffee on promenade des anglais. With fabulous festivals and exquisite food. I was wondering how long the novelty of this life lasts not that I am being negative anything is better than the M25 for a view. But I would appreciate and be overwhelmingly interested in anything that shocked or was not expected? The Real Truth about living in the south of France?

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

How about partners running off with a local.  That goes down as a pretty major downer and con in my book.

Apart from that I love the place.  I am used to slow service now.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Moana - 14 years ago

Andy G,

I've just read your other post and point taken!! I'm not French but married to a Frenchman so have got used to our "differences" - I love the French even though they drive me crazy sometimes!  I love the fact that they will argue over anything, everything and with anybody..........and to live in a beautiful country, good food, fine weather - how lucky are we really!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

I have just put a post on another thread called 'life in france' which I think answers your 'why don't we go home' question.

I'm not miserable here. I like it. I get on well with my neighbours (despite their occasional hostility to each other) and my French friends and colleagues. I just like to put forward different points of view because my experiences here have been like that. The point of my 'rant' was to say that I'm tired of hearing that the problems expats face in France are due to the fact that we 'don't take time to understand the French'. I simply wanted to give some examples where that hasn't worked here on the CdA. Not just for me, but also between my French neighbours who I would expect to be free of such problems of cultural understanding.

Andy 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Moana - 14 years ago

I wonder where the saying "whinging Poms" comes from......if you guys are so unhappy with life here, why don't you pack up and head on back to Old Blighty and leave the French and the rest of us to enjoy this  country.....seriously though, you are living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world and alot of you are so negative - remember the English have exactly endeared themselves to the French..........

Sorry no image available
Posted by Myop - 14 years ago

Andy, I'm really sorry to read that Wales isn't perfect. I've been looking for a perfect place. That's one more to strike off the list. ;-)An example of perception and misperception: Many people (including me) are of the opinion that political corruption exists to some extent in France. The French courts have many a time officially condemned it (Medécin, Juppé, Ginesy, Mouillot, Charles André, Roland Dumas... all sentenced by French Courts of Law). But thinking about it, haven't the moral shortcomings of polticians in many other countries (including our own) been revealed many a time also?When we hear the words "corrupt politician" do we automatically think "French" or "Italian" rather than "Canadian" or "Danish"? Yet these countries' courts have recently condemned some of their own leading politicians also.We tend to see the defects close to us and seldom the ones (every bit as real) that are further away. France might sometimes seem worse, but is it really?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Myop - 14 years ago

quote:the climate, the lifestyle, and general "bon amie"  when we have such wonderful rain, damp, cloud, high taxes, speed cameras, and trains that don't run on time here in the UK.id=quote>the climate: it's not that warm and sunny all year here eitherthe lifestyle: you like it or you don't. I do.general "bon amie": you mean the friendly shopkeepers and drivers? Stay in Britain!rain, damp, cloud: been here in winter? or even in April?high taxes: No comparison. French taxes and "social charges" (Nat Health etc) are a lot MORE, not less, than the UK. Especially if you're self-employed. speed cameras: it's starting here too. Someone posted about this a few days backtrains that don't run on time: Here they do most of the time except when they're on strike (which is often) and don't run at all

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 14 years ago

Well, firstly a big thank you to everybody that has contributed their thoughts and experiences. Odd neighbours, unusual driving tactics, riviera radio, and the other annoyances are all things I think we can tolerate, in exchange for the great food, great climate, and we hope great company ( assisted of course by some of the wonderful French wine ).

But still, we have unanswered curiousity. Just what was it that made you finally make the jump and brave the climate, the lifestyle, and general "bon amie"  when we have such wonderful rain, damp, cloud, high taxes, speed cameras, and trains that don't run on time here in the UK.

If you dont listen to Riviera radio what do you listen too instead and also is riviera radio that bad ?

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available
Posted by martinb-185976 - 14 years ago

Just Do It

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

I'm sorry Claudi, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just having a
bit of a rant, and I half expected a 'well what are you doing here
then' in reply. I was mostly complaining about the article.

My post was too long and boring I know, but I did give some reasons
why I liked living here and why I stay. I'm NOT anti French or France.
I have a long relationship with France and many good and long standing
French friends. My frustrations are only with my bad experiences,
particularly in money dealings here on the Cote d'Azur. Of course
I was generalizing, and I accept that these are only my own narrow
points of view. I also take on board Myop's and other people's points
about 'it can happen anywhere'. Of course that's also true.

All I would say though, and thanks to MikeP for backing me up, is
that knowing and loving France as I did before coming here, my opinion
has been spoilt by many of my experiences here on the CdA and that's
a shame as I am not someone who condemns a place easily. It is however
my point of view, and I don't think MikeP and I are alone in holding
it.

By the way, when I talk about the 'locals', I don't necessarily mean
French. 

Andy  

Sorry no image available
Posted by platypusnic-191198 - 14 years ago

Just to validate the point that it can happen anywhere, all my neighbourly problems since I have lived in france have been with my foreign (non french) neighbours, not with the french neighbours.