DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Keeping Basil Alive ??

Posted by Carolebay-180697 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mat-196270 - 13 years ago

Horse radish is called "railfort" in ftrench.you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a packet of seeds in a large garden centre. Plant the seeds ain sprig and keep them well watered if the weather is realy hot or the roots become a bit woody and very sssstronnnnnggggg.

mat

Sorry no image available
Posted by Carolebay-180697 - 13 years ago

Thanks to you all - I'll keep persevering with Basil

Another question - does anyone have a horse raddish plant?

I'd love to make my own 'strong' sauce rather than the 'insipid' manufactured varieties

Carole  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Liz Lord-193061 - 13 years ago

Carole

Found best way is to keep it in a pot and water well - in the pot - not from above... 

Coriander - divine but much more diff!

Liz

Liz & Mel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 13 years ago

Basil is an annual unfortunately,

BUT you can freeze it - I do it in plastic bags in the freezer and then break off what I need - no need to defrost first.

You can also make pesto (Pistou) and if covered with a good layer of olive oil, it will keep all winter in the fridge - use a preserving jar - when you get some of your delicious pistou out of the jar, make sure that the oil covers the rest again. It's probably  little late to think of it now, but you could try. I made a lot, but not enough and unfortunately we have eaten it all, so now I have to try again to see if I have enough leaves left to do some.

Best of Luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 13 years ago

Basil is an annual unfortunately,

BUT you can freeze it - I do it in plastic bags in the freezer and then break off what I need - no need to defrost first.

You can also make pesto (Pistou) and if covered with a good layer of olive oil, it will keep all winter in the fridge - use a preserving jar - when you get some of your delicious pistou out of the jar, make sure that the oil covers the rest again. It's probably  little late to think of it now, but you could try. I made a lot, but not enough and unfortunately we have eaten it all, so now I have to try again to see if I have enough leaves left to do some.

Best of Luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Carolebay-180697 - 13 years ago

Many thanks to you both....

I was thinking of asking Parsley or even the dog named Dill - sorry I couldn't resist that.....

gareth - The website was well worth a visit

sledger - reckon I'll be buying Basil(s) until next spring

Thanks again

Carole

Sorry no image available
Posted by sledger-197331 - 13 years ago

At this time of year your not really gonna get any good results if you start now, generally when you buy your pot of baby Basil change the pot to a larger one with some fresh earth, regular water, if it rains, the following day feed it with some plant food. keep a close eye on it and pinch off the heads of the main stems as it will continue to multiply and grow in size if you do that, you can do this all the way through winter as long as its not to cold.

As i do at this time of year i stop to pinch the heads off and let it flower, you can keep feeding it but the plant will automatically dry out, dont forget to keep the flowers as you can plant them next march for your next harvest, then you just continue the process as above...............easy peasy

Sorry no image available
Posted by gareth-182148 - 13 years ago

Ask Sybil? or are you talking about Basil Brush? I'd heard that he'd been resurrected recently?

But seriously, try this link,it has lots of info re growing basil:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1644.html

regards

Gareth