DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Keyboard shortcuts

Posted by Iona-193607 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Can someone please tell me what the shortcuts are to access French characters from an English keyboard.  I know I saw them on an Angloinfo forum before but cannot remember where!

Cheers!

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

...plus, you can access the characters á, é and ó simply by pressing Alt Gr + a|e|o.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

On Windows you can see a list of all the available extended ASCII and Unicode characters by running 'Character Map' (Start -&gt1; Run -&gt1; "charmap"). This shows you the codes that you need to type for characters such as « æ î å ñ ð ï ¿ ß etc.Also, on my UK keyboard under Windows XP, I can enter a '€' sign by pressing Alt Gr + 4 (think it's Alt Gr + 5 for US English keyboards).

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

With XP or Win 2000 you can define your keyboard to be "US International" then you can type the french characters using the quote keys,

eg

' + e = é   ` + e = è    ' + c = ç 

You get a keboard icon on the toolbar so you can switch between layouts.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

Iona, I have similar problems when the cats walk across the keyboard.poolman, I didn't realise Commodore C64s were still around ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iona-193607 - 13 years ago

Thanks danonimes, I didn't realise that I'd turned off NUM lock!  It's working perfectly now!

Sorry no image available
Posted by poolman-188953 - 13 years ago

On my computer you have to press Control and Alt and the numbers to get these characters.ChrisHautVar

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

Hold down the Alt key, enter the numbers on the numeric keypad and make sure Num Lock is on - after that, I'm not sure.You are using a windows based PC, I suppose?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iona-193607 - 13 years ago

I just tested them out but they don't seem to work.  Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

"Alt" + Nº130=é138=è136=ê131=â133=à135=ç150=û167=º171=½172=¼ Alt + 0128 = €