DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Kosher Household

Posted by scott-182097 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

There was something in the Bible about this - not eating the lamb and the lamb's mother at the same time.  Can anyone remember the details..? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by scott-182097 - 14 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to reply...........I will pass this information on to my friends

Thanks again

"I was so unpopular when I was young that even my imaginary friend wouldn't play with me."

scott

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

My qualifications: Not Jewish, but lived in Israel from 2000-2003.

Practically speaking, "Kosher-ness" comes in many levels. A Rabbi would argue with that but that is my first hand experience.

However, for this I will assume that the household is very Kosher.

No pork.No shellfish. Including but not limited to, shrimp, lobster, mussels.Meats, including fish, are never served or cooked with any form of dairy product. So - no cheeseburgers, no meaty lasagna with mozzarella cheese, no steak with a sour-cream laden potato on the side, you get the idea.Note that this rule applies to an entire meal not only what is on a plate at any one time. If the main course has meat, you cannot have desserts which have dairy in them or even coffee with milk.Eggs are considered to be neither/nor and can be used/eaten with both dairies and meat.A kosher kitchen will have two separate areas for food preparation. One area for preparing dairy meals, one for meat meals.The separation of meats and dairys goes as far as having entirely different sets of dishes, cutlery, pots, utensils, etc.Disposable plates, cutlery and cups with the food from a kosher restaurant is the only way to get around the problems facing a non kosher house having truly kosher guests over for dinner.In a wealthy house, there will usually be two fridges, two dishwashers, two sinks..There are also rules about the time distance to be observed between meals from the two categories in order to keep them separated even during digestion. I'm not quite sure about the exact times, but after having consumed a meat meal you must wait for about 5-6 hours before eating any dairy. After eating dairy, since the digestion time is shorter, I think the wait is around 3-4 hours.

I cannot imagine that the people for whom your friends will be working would expect your friends to keep kosher, but, of course, putting any of the restricted foods or food combinations where they don't belong in their house would be very disrespectful. 

That's all I can think of at the moment.

**Mummy told me once too often that I wasn't setting a good example; now I just strive to be a terrible warning.**