DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

La Poste...

Posted by Rosbif-185958 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Does anyone have any idea what La Poste is up to recently?  has anyone encountered any difficulties with the postal services recently?

I am living near Draguignan in the Var and it is taking several weeks to send and receive letters from elsewhere in france. Not only is this happening here, but my GF is from St Etienne and she is having trouble getting stuff to/from there too.

Any clues?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Most of the text of my earlier message was (rightly) deleted by admin as it contained unacceptable language and was off topic,  for which I apologise.........  but I am glad to see that there are people out there who agree with me and are willing to admit to it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by copi - 14 years ago

Last winter - 10 hours from Madrid to Cuba and a family of 30 took turns smoking in the head on IBERIA. Do you think some of our mail was on board?

I too have been waiting for mail (local). Strange not even to receive any bills for a week.

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

MikeP

I laughed and laughed ... and laughed, when I read your little story !   And my (French) partner shook his head in a mixture of comic disbelief and acceptance ... saying ....”Mais .... c’est normaaaaale !!!”    I believe he is quite in accord with you ... c’est la vie ici ... and it often drives him nutz!

Nevertheless ... we do enjoy the culture, the quaint little villages and the cuisine.  Can’t exactly say I was ever inspired by the cuisine in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Australia – but after only one year or so in France ... inspiration has taken me where I’ve never been before !  (cuisine-wise at least)

I don’t really go for the ‘we should be content with our lot – because others are worse off’  line of thinking.   It’s too easy to throw in that one.   If everyone thought that way ... the world would be an apathetic place indeed, as there’d simply be less motivation for progress and improvement.

I’m well travelled enough (that means little – one only has to watch the world news !) to marvel at what incredible luck we had to be born in relatively modern countries - something I've never taken for granted.  And although I absolutely adored the life available in Australia, ... I never thought of the country as particularly advanced   ... that is ...   until I settled here !!   The lack of efficient basic services in this country never cease to amaze me ... but at least, I have now learned to laugh a little about it. 

Honestly ... sometimes I could swear I hear the secret national Swahili anthem ... “Pole ... pole”  chanting softly to the beat of distant drums ...

Sorry no image available

Well,  fine,  but the flights to Barcelona (we go regularly) are operated by Air Nostrum on behalf of Iberia.  For a taste of what Iberia is really like,  try one of their long haul (it really is a long haul!) routes,  especially to Central and South America where they think they have a monopoly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

My judgement may be clouded concerning Iberia , as on the last flight I took from Barcelona  when we got to Nice , the sailing enthusiasts onboard , including a well known member of the Spanish sailing fraternity took us off to a wonderful night of Flamenco , Tapas , and Catalonian cuisine , with the flight crew , to Cannes - no complaints , but I may have been lucky on this particular flight ! ( not that flamenco comes from Catalonia , but when they are swirling and stamping to Gypsy Kings style music , who can resist ??!! )

A friend of mine is flying to Barca this w/end by Iberia , I will check how it was when he gets back and inform you accordingly !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

St. George

Fair comment,  point taken. 

However, we can disagree about Iberia,  on which I totally disagree with you!  See my posting on the Beckham/EasyJet discussion.

Cheers

MIKE

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

MikeP !

I started a long posting and decided to delete it , as it won't help - just to remind you that these last few months , a lot of the French populace have lost everything in floods , mud slides , subsidence and natural disaster - mostly northern and westerly regions ! They have to rebuild their homes and their lives !!

So in spite of some inconveniences , we aren't so badly off you know - at least we still have petrol to go and stock up on bottled water , and what about your water butt ?

Stay vigilant though !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

Well, as promised,  here's the full text of my rant.  I know some of you would be disappointed if I didn't respond to this and give you ammunition .....  and to get back to the original theme of this posting.  Today I received a letter posten in Wimbledon (SW London) on Tuesday.  However,  I am still waiting for letters posted in Paris on 13 June, and Cannes on 18 June.  Does this make sense?

>> Long off-topic message deleted by admin <<

Sorry no image available

I shall have to post the account of my dealing with the local plumber who appeared to think that liquid and solid material flows uphill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

Mike P

"There are constant reminders that this is a third world country with delusions of grandeur..."

Funny ... the number of times I've said exactly that to the other half !!!       The difference is .... in Africa ... we expect it!

Btw ... I'm still waiting for precious marriage photos that my brother sent to me three weeks ago from Sydney ...