DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

La Poste...

Posted by Rosbif-185958 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 16 years ago

There is a bit of a backlog in Nice , but everything seems to be getting through OK , even to the UK !

Antibes to Nice - 3 days !

Nice - London , large envelope priorité about 4 days

Being old fashioned , I back up important AR , Car and House Insurance by a Tel. call.

EDF/GDF, TV Licence, Vivendi , France Telecom by direct debit !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by the_geezer - 16 years ago

Good to have the snarling observations of MikeP back.

We drove our car for three months without insurance as NONE of the three notifications from the insurer came through. AND they were sent AR.

Turns out the cancellation of the insurance was an error by the insurer (GMF, for fonctionnaires), but that's another story, which is simply too long and depressing to share with you.

The Geezer

Sorry no image available
Posted by dcameron - 16 years ago

Does anyone else think the postal service (at least in Nice) has become much worse in the last few weeks?  Perhaps due to the industrial action?

I nearly had my electricity due to not receiving either the first bill or the reminder.  Plus I know of several other items that should have arrived in the last few weeks but haven't.

What are your thoughts?

Doug

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 16 years ago

My Economist used to arrive on Saturday - it was mailed on Thursday.

Then it was Monday, now sometimes Tuesday if I'm lucky,  more often Wednesday.  6 days from Paris.  Pathetic.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 16 years ago

FF: your lazy postman is doing black gardening?  Sounds like grounds for blackmail..

Sorry no image available
Posted by fastfranky - 16 years ago

I think it all depends on the postman, I have two friends in the same town as me, but both with different postmen, who receive the same weekly magazine as me on Thursday, regularly, I get mine on saturday and if I'm really lucky, friday. Sometimes I have to wait 'til monday. The fat git who spends all his time doing black gardening for old widows and occasionaly delivers our mail, shrugs his shoulders and says it's not his fault!!! So I changed my subscription to my business address and get delivered as I should.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 16 years ago

Thanks Trudie, but from what I've been reading it may be quicker,safer and cheaper to take it myself - so I booked a flight!

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Trudie-183812 - 16 years ago

Runaway,

I know it maybe a little more expensive but I always send everyting airmail. It seems to work.

Trudie

Trudie

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 16 years ago

St George! Don't forget the Bermuda shorts to go with those shirts.. J

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 16 years ago

Postal service within  Nice is 24 hours - between posting a missive with the correct code postale and arrival at destination - Nice to La Turbie 36 hours - Nice to London 4 days ! Ireland to Nice 4 days !

Haven't therefore noticed a problem ?

On the subject of Post from abroad , there was an article in the Sunday Times magazine last weekend ref. buying gear from the US and using any one of the International Courriers ! On top of the initial purchase and the cost of the courrier which are known charges , there are then , unexpectedly , Customs charges , TVA  etc , which inevitably turn what you assumed to be a good deal , into something costing you as much , if not more , than you would have paid in Europe.

I discovered a legal way round this last year when I purchased some Hawaiian Shirts from 2 different manufacturers for personal use ! I will let anyone interested know by e-mail as these extra charges are seriously taking the ' micky' out of bona fide Internet Trading , and helping to prop up the obscene pensions being paid out to French fonctionnaires when they decide to take early retirement options at the age of 55 !!

stgeorge