DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Laptop

Posted by wkt54-196372 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kensmith-197043 - 13 years ago

As others have said above, you should have no trouble finding wireless access in Antibes. According to Jiwire, a Wi-Fi hotspot directory supported by Intel, there are 16 public wireless Internet locations in Antibes. The hotspot business is growing so fast that it is impossible for any list to be current, so there certainly are more than the 16 listed hotspots in Antibes.Here is the link to Jiwire for France -- there are 2,600 hotspots listed -- click on Antibes or any other French city.http://www.jiwire.com/hot-spot-directory-browse-by-state.htm?country_id=75Most of the hotspots listed by Jiwire for Antibes are hotels. As suggested above, you can also visit Internet cafes in Antibes. There are two Internet cafes near the Blue Lady, and one of these cafes is planning to install a Wi-Fi network -- maybe this has already been completed.In this part of France, there is only one free Wi-Fi hotspot that I know of. This is at Le Queenie restaurant, 19 Promenade des Anglais, in Nice. While the access is free, the owners rightfully expect you to order a drink or something to eat.For the current issue of the US magazine International Yacht Charters & Vacations, I wrote an article entitled "Wireless Internet on the French Riviera". This article might give you additional information on how wireless access is growing in this part of the world.Here is a link to the PDF version:http://pdf.sys-con.com/yacht/YVC1-2(Riviera-5).pdfAnd, here's the HTML version:http://yachtchartersmagazine.com/story/?storyid=45630Ken Smith

Sorry no image available
Posted by jivebaby-189615 - 13 years ago

I found a very strong wi-fi connection last week, but faced WEP encyrption... I noted the code, so is there anyeasy way to identify who the network owner is with a view to potetially negotiate access?JiveBaby

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Vodofone 3g is not yet available in France.

In France Orange have a pilot 3G network that ought to be generally available by the end of the year.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by countesselena - 13 years ago

Hi Ken -

This is a link to what you are asking about...

http://aphonedirect.2u.co.uk/phones/vodafone_vodaphone_voda_phone_mobile/3g-gprs-laptop-internet-datacard/index.php

Needs to go in the browser address bar without a newline...!

Regards - Alan

Dr WIZARD Computers - Edinburgh

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 13 years ago

most internet cafes let you plug your own laptop into their network these days. Of course you usually pay the same price because you are still taking up space.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jivebaby-189615 - 13 years ago

I too need wireless access but do not want a permanent ADSL service - happy to pay by the hour when needed - any suggestions where hotspots are in Nice please???

Thanks

JiveBaby

Sorry no image available

That's funny, I spelt neighbour without the 'u'.  I hope my old English teacher doesn't read these forums.Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 13 years ago

Yeah, Tony is right.  Don't bother with the phone/wireless; it is a bunch of trouble and not very efficient.  Just find a 'hotspot' which are soon to be everywhere and poach off someone's ADSL.  Mine is wide open for my neighbors to use; so are thousands of others.  A guy flew over the center of Denver in a Censsa airplane and recorded over 1000 open hotspots.  OK, so Antibes is not Denver, but soon you will have no trouble just cruising a street and finding an open 'hotspot'.  Most good laptops come with the WiFi card already installed.  See how easy?  Sorry, I can't tell you where my Wifi is because I don't want ten people sitting around my pool each day I arrive.

Sorry no image available

There is the GPRS system that you can use with a GPRS phone or a laptop card, but it is very expensive and not very fast.

There are a few wifi hot spots in Antibes, but they are expensive too, compared to standard ADSL. If there isnt a wifi hot spot near where you live, maybe you can persuade a neighbor to install a wifi access point.

Tony