DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Laptop shops

Posted by santana-195063 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

BakerCheck out Dell - www.dell.frYou can choose from an English, American, or French keyboard and get Windows and other software in English or French. Good international warranty as well.Forget ebay if you want peace of mind.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingdarran - 14 years ago

try ebaythe keyboard problem is a false one because you can download software to change it and a set of stickers to change the keys....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Baker-184525 - 14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I would like to buy a laptop around 2000 euros. Any recommendation?

Many thanks

Baker

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

Santana, in the current brochure it clearly says Pentium 4! But on the web page it says Celeron :( hmmm...?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 14 years ago

Welcome Informatique in Cannes are excellent, good value, helpful staff and good aftersales.

They can also source laptops with qwerty keyboards and XP in English, given a little time.

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by santana-195063 - 14 years ago

&gt1;&gt1; Right now there is a very good special offer at Carrefour, they have a Fujitsu/Siemens with Pentium4 processor for 899Euro.yeap, the only problem is that it's Celeron!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

Right now there is a very good special offer at Carrefour, they have a Fujitsu/Siemens with Pentium4 processor for 899Euro.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I have a Dell that I bought online and it was possible to specify both the keyboard and the language of the operating system.

For some reason laptop prices in France are higher than elsewhere in Europe.  The same model Dell with the same options is about 20% cheaper in Belgium than in France.  I hear laptops are also cheaper in Italy.

I dont why it applies to laptops because I havn't noticed much difference in price with other electronics and digital cameras seem cheaper in France.

My daughter has a Toshiba, and when she had a problem a couple of months after getting it, it took 6 weeks to have it repaired.  The only reason I have a Dell is that I need it for my work, and Dell will send someone to fix it the next day.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by santana-195063 - 14 years ago

Thanks legend n Twilight..legend: Yea, i know abt the AZERTY problem. But it seems that if i wanna buy it from here in France, then i don't have any choice either. Another problem is the French WinXP and I'll have to live with it :-( In fact, Toshiba A40 is avalaible worldwide with different specs. This particular model ( A40-101 ) is very specific to France and so the chances are almost 100% that the KB is AZERTY :-( The problem is not about the pricing only. I've checked almost all the French websites for prices. But still, i'm not able to see the laptop physically [Although i know all of its technical details and apart from looks (which i don't know yet), it's config is excellent]Twilight:I did a lot of survey about buying laptop and in my opinion, if you are fully decided with which one laptop you want to have then it's much better to buy it online. The reason: you can never get a better price offline.And if you can tell me what are the specs that you are looking for and in what range, then may be i can tell you which model will be suitable if that helps you anyway!Thanks guys for taking your time in answering.Ciao!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twilight-186781 - 14 years ago

I too am looking for a good shop to buy a laptop for a friend, she is an old french woman who has given me money to buy her a laptop as she knows nothing about computers.I havent found anything suitable in Carrefour, Darty or Conforama. She doesnt want me to buy it off the net, are there any decent computer shops? Toshiba is what I want to get her..I would get in in England for her as I know the market well there but she wants a french keyboard...santana I have a toshiba, not the same model as you but my freind who has the A40 has no probs with it