Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Laws regarding working in France for UK company

Posted by janika - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 16 years ago

You need to call the IRS in Newcastle (phone number is hidden away on the DSS website somewhere).  They can advise you what best to do.  If you want to be 100% street legal you can get the local tax office (where you are currently paying tax PAYE) to issue a special tax code for you so you don't get tax deducted in the UK.  There's probably not an enormous difference in income tax anyway.  National insurance however is a completely different kettle of fish however - and is a fraction of what you pay in France.  You pay something like 8% in the UK and it's "capped" at around £5000 after which you only pay around 1% (if you're earning more than £5000 a month, do let me know if you need any other campsite managers).  There's no reason therefore to change the NI payments in the UK - but you will need an E.111 to claim money back from the French authorities.  In case you get made redundant you will also need an E.801 that will allow you to claim ASSEDIC here.

For your French tax return you declare any income you earned in the UK and the tax you already paid.  The French will NOT try and tax you further on this money but they will use it in calculating the tax rate on any money you earned on top of that in France.  (I went down to see them myself this year to clarify this as I also pay tax and NI on money paid to me in the UK.)

Unbelievably, assuming you speak French, it's quite simple.  And do call the DSS in Newcastle - it's anonymous and they're very helpful.


Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 16 years ago

You would be "seconded" to France and to have reciprocal medical cover in France whilst paying UK Social Security then you need to have your company apply for an E101 & E128 form which can be submitted to the French securite sociale.

You need to pay French tax if you're here more than 183 days but can continue paying UK social security (it's usually cheaper than French).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Charliegirl-191256 - 16 years ago

Hi - my understanding is that after 183 days you are considered resident, therefore, you should be paying tax in France.