DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Lawyer Costs - How much is too much?

Posted by ivi - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Recently we received judgement in our favour for around Euros 16K.  We agreed verbally with the lawyer Euros 1000 upfront, plus 10% of what we win (if anything), so the total comes to around Euros 2.6 K.  We have a letter from him specifying this agreement, though we have not countersigned.

Now he wants an additional Euros 500 to cover any expense of actually executing payment.

Is this a try-on?  We have to wait one month anyway to see if they send a cheque in the mail (you never know) before you send in a Hussier or whatever. 

Does anyone have any experience in these cases? 

Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

Yup and jjoepages situation is the NORM sadly....as the saying goes its only the lawyers that win...I think your lawyer really did very well for you...500 euros for expenses is not expensive but you can get itemised bill from him as thats the norm...by the way if he was that reasonably priced who is he will you email me his details please?

kind regards

ruby

Sorry no image available
Posted by ivi - 13 years ago

Ohhhhh my god !!!!!!!

Well, that certainly puts things in perspective.

Thank you for that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 13 years ago

My lawyer charged me 8K to arrive at 6K.  Total take: for those challanged at math: -2K on a case I won.  Welcome to French Law 101; hope I don't see the next level.  Laughs.

Sorry no image available

No it looks like the court isn't going to award costs, so we get what we were owed, minus the money for the lawyer and getting the money.

But point taken.  Job done, quite quickly too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

It looks to me as if these are two different jobs.  The first job for 1000 + 10% was to win the judgement on your behalf and that was done.

Now there is the problem that the other party might not pay and that the lawyer may have to resort to all sorts of legal procedures in order to get the money.  If that is the case, 500E looks reasonable, especially if there is a chance of getting it back from the 3rd party.

Tony

Sorry no image available

No we pretty much agreed.  I'd just like to see the details of these 'expenses', which I haven't.

I guess I'm a sceptic when it comes to lawyers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

Well in comparison to British lawyers he was cheap and reasonably priced...is there any clause in the original contract he sent you about expenses to be deducted?

Ask him to specify what these additional charges are for and itemise them

regards

ruby