DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Looking for a computer expert

Posted by Christine-180881 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

Sounds like it could be their DNS. This is the service that links the address that you type into the address bar on your browser (e.g. www.google.com) to an Internet address that your computer understands (e.g. 66.102.9.99). To test if this is the problem, connect to Wanadoo and then try the following (all commands should be typed without the quotes):

Open up a DOS prompt. This can be done by clicking Start | Run,then typing "cmd" (or "command" if you're running Windows 95/98) and pressing <Enter>.Once you have the DOS prompt open, type "ping www.google.com" and press <Enter>. If everything is working OK, you should see lines beginning with "Reply from ..." in the output.When the ping command has completed, type "ping 66.102.9.99" and press <Enter>. Again, you should see lines beginning with "Reply from ..." in the output.If the second ping was successful but the first one was not, then it's fairly likely that it's a DNS problem. Let me know if this is the case and I'll tell you how to check that your DNS settings are correct.To double-check that it's a DNS problem, you can also try the following DOS command while you're connected to Wanadoo (possibly only works on Windows NT/2000/XP): "nslookup www.google.com". If you see error messages in the output, then this is another indicator of possible DNS problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Christine-180881 - 14 years ago

Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate it.

SarahW and Crayfish I have checked security settings. I have no firewalls or parental controls and I have tried lowering all security settings to a minimum but it doesn't change anything so I think it might be something else

Andy I'll try Netscape today

Christine

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crayfish2004 - 14 years ago

Christine,

The first thing I would check are the security settings in your web browser; Tools|Internet Options|Security (in Internet Explorer 6.0). If you have a Firewall, and/or any 'Parental Controls' installed, check the settings there also.

Is it possible someone else has been playing around with the settings on your computer?

Crayfish

Sorry no image available
Posted by SarahW-192976 - 14 years ago

Sounds like your settings for connectivity.  ie firewalls or virus scans that don't allow you till you have set it up to view safe/non virus.  I'm no expert but try settings for incoming and outgoing?  If not someone else will probably know!

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by agodwin - 14 years ago

Hi Christine,I have the same problem since yesterday. Wanadoo proposed a new version when one of my kids opened the connection and we can no longer connect to the web using Explorer (Netscape however will work correctly). The lovely folks at Wanadoo insist it isn't their problem even though it "seems" to coincide with a new release of their software!!andyAndy Godwin04 9292 0716