DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

lost property

Posted by jaaaine - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi, I hope someone can help me here... at the beginning of the year some stuff was stolen from my car, and now I am wondering ....if it was ever discarded by the roadside, and found by someone....where would it go to if it was handed in? Is there one central bureau it goes to after a few months, or would I have to call up every lost property pace on the CDA...?

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaaaine - 14 years ago

thanks all... my stuff was stolen up in the hills near Gourdon, in the middle of nowhere really...so it could have been handed in anywhere...I was really hoping there would be a central office!!! oh well

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Im not sure if the same product is availible for woman, but my uncle, who owns a spy shop (Spymaster) in central London, used to sell wallets which used to have a built in battery to provide a very strong electric current. The device worked by simply pressing a button on the back of the wallet twice. You then had 5 seconds to give the wallet to someone, before they are given a nice amount of electrical current. Not sure it would work if it is stolen from your hands, but ideal if you are mugged and you have time to press the buttons.M

Sorry no image available
Posted by English_girl - 14 years ago

I sympathise with you as the same thing happened to us. There is a lost property office for most towns (which I think comes under the mairie) and they recommended we called the one nearest to where the stuff was taken and others in the local area, as priority, as they apparently "chuck" anything they don't need pretty quickly after looking through it.

Good luck, hope you find your stuff

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

There's an office for "objets trouvés" but I imagine that each town would have one instead of their being a central office. For example, the one in Cannes is a few blocks from the Commissariat. Perhaps the first step would be to go to the one in the town where your stuff was stolen. If you can't find the number in the phone book, I'm sure the police will be able to inform you.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

Never give up.. my handbag was returned to me by the police in Nice 3 years after it was stolen..Jan

Anything for a peaceful life