DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mac problem

Posted by lexa-183752 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Can anyone help me? I have a Mac G4 OS 9.1 and I have been on the internet for a while, my computer crashed and had to restart everything but since then, I can't seem to get my desktop anymore (maybe it is a virus?). The only thing you can see is a grey screen with a tiny little folder with in the middle a flashing question mark. This is also the only thing that appears from the moment you switch on the computer.

Does anyone know what to do about this?

Lexa

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

Forgot to recommend one possible quick-fix before you try the others.Boot from your original system CD (insert the CD, hold down "C" while booting to force your Mac to boot from the CD ratrher tahn look for a system on your HD). Then run "SOS Disque" (if your system is French) on UK and US systems it's called "Disk First Aid".That might just solve the problem without having to do anything more...

Sorry no image available
Posted by lexa-183752 - 14 years ago

Thanks for the advice!Will give it a go later on and will keep you posted.Lexa

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

Looks like the files needed by your desktop might be corrupted. Or you've got a wonky extension.If you don't have a utilities program like Norton, try each of the following:1/ restart with option(alt) and command (the little apple key) held down. This will rebuild your desktop files. Then try rebooting normally to see if all is well.2/ if point 1 doesn't work, restart while holding down the caps-up key. This should disactivate the extensions (inits). You'll get a msg telling you so. If the problem is with an extension, this should bypass the problem, at least for that startup. Back up your important files to a spare HD or CD and try to reboot normally.3/ You should have the original system CD somewhere. If neither of the above works, boot using this CD, back up your important files to a spare HD or CD and reinstall the system.Macs don't crash often but when they do the solution is usually pretty easy to find, especially under OS 9.