DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Making a polite refusal

Posted by Phil Champ - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Phil Champ - 14 years ago

That should, of course, read A "polite refusal" is probably a contradiction in terms in this situation.
Phil

Sorry no image available
Posted by Phil Champ - 14 years ago

Thanks old_nice_room, that's pretty much the conclusion I'd been coming to. A "polite refusal" is probably a contradiction in terms. I'm only here till the end of the year, so I guess it won't kill me to act with good grace for once in my life :-)
Phil

Sorry no image available
Posted by old_nice_room - 14 years ago

this is my two pence worth...

go to the dinner...there is no polite way that is not going to leave a bad feeling...

also how long do you want to carry on living in your flat...as if you even mildly insult him...you the karma way of this world will make you pay...

old_nice_room

Sorry no image available
Posted by desertjoe - 14 years ago

i always find honesty is the best solution,so tell your landlord you dont like him or his cooking and if he invites you again you will find somewhere else to live.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Phil,

Why dont you offer to bring something, for example the starters or something so that if u dislike what she makes as the main course, you wont be hungry, plus you have a reason for saying your full having eaten a minute amount of her cooking.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Phil !

Whilst you contemplate with horror , the possibility of another dinner invitation from your landlord ( joking aside now !! ) in their quest to perhaps discover the British pysche , you haven't really given us enough material on which to base a balanced judgement - frivolous speculation is all very well , but if it is simply based on the standard of the cuisine , I find it hard to believe that a typical French housewife is capable of making a hash out of regional or even local specialities , assuming she is making some sort of effort to please the jaded palate !

My own experiences of French hospitality over the years have indicated that as a foreigner ,to be invited into a French home to partake of a repas should be considered a privilege and  honour as it occurs so very rarely and unless there is a secondary motive involved ,which you wish to avoid at all costs , perhaps an effort is required by your good self !!?? 

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 14 years ago

Very true Max, I think StGeorge would do very well in politics and he can also woo the ladies. What more could one ask for.Carol

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Its a shame St George wasnt free to take Alistair Campbell's job as he seems to be pretty good at spinning things round and making excuses

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

I would therefore suggest a billet doux in a scented envelope on the lines of :

Dear Mrs. Landlord ,

The hot impestuous glances at the last dinner party and your appealing attire regrettably make it impossible for me to attend this further invitation without the risk of letting my passions get the better of me ( the fishnet stockinged leg under the dinner table ) whilst your husband is preparing the vinaigrette in the kitchen ! I implore you therefore to consider a gallant rendezvous in the concierges broom cupboard at any time of your convenience !

Salutations amoureuses from your bewitched voisin - Philippe !

Naturally if Phil has a wife or companion , it simply won't do to have companie gallante au lit conjugal , donc , quoi faire ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by nina-II - 14 years ago

A-Ha! I wonder...