DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

making collect calls

Posted by leslie-179832 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I need help with making a collect call from here to the U.S. The phone book says to call the operator, but the number i have is no good. Can anyone please give me the number to call to speak to an english speaking operator in order to place my call?

thank You

Leslie

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 13 years ago

LOL!

Thank you. Actually, I did not realize it, but the number they gave me, when dialed, automatically is a collect call. At least this is what they told me during my conversation with them.  I shall check my bill and see!

Thanxs

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

OK - it's your call (LOL).  If AMEX insist on getting a super-expensive operator assisted reverse-charge I guess it's no skin off your nose.

There are many ways of making collect calls, some are entirely automated but most of them are tied to antiquated and expensive operator assistance.  One that works quite well from France to USA is with AT&T;

Dial AT&T toll free access 0800 990 011dial "0" then the US area code and number you want to place collect call towhen it asks for charge card number just wait quietly a few secondsa voice menu will then ask you to pronounce "Charge" "Operator" or "Collect" - say "collect" clearly.From there you are with the reverse-charges human operator

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 13 years ago

Thank you, but unfortunately, I need to call collect as I am calling my American Express card company in the US. I do not mind calling on my own phone, money is not the matter, they told me to call collect since I am out of the country, but I just do not seem to be able to do it.

do you know how?

Thanxs

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

errrrrmmm... WHY?

Collect calls are a thing of the past. It will cost the person you are calling tens if not hundreds of times more than it will cost you to call through a European calling service.

If it is the USA you are calling, try Telerabais.

call 0811-65 31 31, you don't even need to wait for the talking to finish, dial 001 then your 10 digit US number then #.  It will cost you 3cents/minute daytime, 1.8cents nightime and weekend.  Also valid for US cellphones.  Fantastic deal!

It's good to talk!