DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mandarin

Posted by DURBAN-188330 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DURBAN-188330 - 5 years ago

Thanks so much for your help. All i want is to have the basic formalities. I will give it a go.

Jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by bossagypsy - 5 years ago

Can i just add - if you are going in September - get Pimsleur basic chinese mp3 download - do two 30min lessons a day from now - by the time you get there you will be fine

Sorry no image available
Posted by bossagypsy - 5 years ago

Hi

I think that is not a good idea (sorry!) . Mandarin is a tonal language, which means that different pitches of words mean different things - a phonetic crib ship prob not viable

I went to China and had some Chinese language which I used for business. If its any comfort the thing to do it is learn the basics (polite introductions) from the previous posters you tube links - or Pimlsleur chinese (very good) or Earworms. If you learn basic introductory formalities , then this will give you a lot of kudos and respect from your hosts. I dont know your circumstances, but my experiences there are that they do not expect you to speak conversational chinese. If you learn the basics, plus politeness formalities like gift giving (look them up on google) etc then you should be doing really well/.

BG

Sorry no image available
Posted by DURBAN-188330 - 5 years ago

Thanks but what I was hoping for was to write a list of words/phrases and someone to translate them into Mandarin phonetically for me. I don't have the time to use the Youtube link to learn them off by heart. iI need a crib sheet.

If anyone can help would be really grateful.

Jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by WizardofOz-226715 - 5 years ago