DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

metres of telephone cable

Posted by rosetta-185721 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 14 years ago

Well, they are coming this afternoon and I will be here to stand over them :-). Phoned on Friday and they actually offered to come Saturday morning - nearly fell off my chair...

ro

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

However good a job they do, they will still run the wires all around the doors.  If you ask for a second line, you are likely to get two sets of wires running around the doors, and it will cost more than a WiFi thing in the living.

A second line for the PC doesnt make sense if you live in an ADSL zone.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 14 years ago

That's fine if you have the time to be there when they come 'round, I didn't and came home to a mess.

If someone had warned me to stand over them, I would have.

As I said, after the event FT couldn't care less.

I don't compare or care about BT or anything else English as I haven't lived there for years.

FT I find competent, but their sub-contractors are nul!

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

As a FT shareholder ,and being in my apartment whenever they do the job , anything less than satisfactory and tested before they go , just won't do , so whether it's a sub contractor or the FT engineers themselves really doesn't make any difference - if it's no good , you don't sign the works docket and while you're there you get the FT guy on the phone , ( as there's always a written works order with whoever is dealing with your case ) and you have a good moan if you're not happy - I can't see the problem - these people (FT who pay my annual dividend ) are there to make money which you will eventually help them to earn , so I see no reason to settle for second best or a rubbish installation ? I hope you're not telling me that BT are any better , as I would then think you're taking the ' mick ' !

I've even had FT Wanadoo Engineers out on the weekend to sort out my installations with the ' Oh , you've touched something ' - it's all rubbish, stand your ground - that's what they get paid for !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 14 years ago

Be careful when asking France telecom to re-install the line.

They don't do it themselves, it's contracted out to another company who made a complete mess of mine. When I complained to FT, they told me to take it up with the sub contractor, who couldn't care less, bref, I re-did it myself.

If you get them to come round, make sure you stand over them until it's done to your satisfaction.

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

There seems to be a certain fear of dealing with FT - if you call them or visit their nearest office , they will send an engineer round to look at the proper rewiring necessary and it will be accomplished in no time - at their expense ! All you have to pay for is the installation fee ,the rent of the phone ( if they supply it ),and the phone bill , and while you're at it , if your stay is intended to be a lengthy one , get them to run two lines - one for the PC and the other for the ordinary phone . Don't forget that if you intend to plug in Fax machines , answer phones , the Minitel or backups to your PC equipment , the phone lines will need to be near 220VAC outlets !

I've never had a problem with FT since 22 years living in Nice and they have always been more than helpful - we're not living in the dark ages here you know ! I still think the PTT plug is far better than the BT plug , which you have to fiddle around with to get the right way up , and on the telephone , unless it's a mobile , I still like the comfort of a cable trailing behind !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

Yep, the whole house is a mass of cables not just the office (where you sort of expect it.) Have just got everything working so am loathe to try wi-fi at the moment - also having just moved I'm pretty skint!

Thanks for all the replies, folks - think I'll just get them round to install a new line if that's my only option - it can only look better than what I have now - couldn't look any worse!

Ro

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I have the same at my house, the line comes in near the front door and the cables to the back of the house were glued to the angle between the wall and the ceiling.  When I watched the (very attractive and pleasant) young lady installer doing this,  I remember thinking it would last about three weeks.  I was wrong. It lasted nearly six weeks.

Combined with the antiquated, inefficient, and enormous plugs which FT use, when most of the world has switched over to RJ11 or similar,  this does all look very third worldish.  The connections for two phones, a computer, and a fax, take up half the study and have to be protected from rampant vacuum cleaners and prowling cats.

The ADSL wifi is a neat solution,  if you are in an ADSL zone, and also if you are willing to pay as a wi-fi thingey apparently costs well over E 100.

Sorry no image available

Yes, that's what I thought - if it has to come from the living room there probably isn't much that can be done. And you're right, I do have ADSL in the back room next to the phone. Guess I'm stuck with the miles of cable. If I asked for a new line do you think they'd at least run it better from the other room and replace the existing cable, which the old owner glue gunned to the wall?

Ro in a mess of cable

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I am not sure FT can do much better. I would guess the FT line comes into the apartment via a conduit to the living room, and from there the only alternatives are wire around the doors or a couple of cordless handsets with a base in the living.

You cant use a PC through a dial-up connection using a cordless phone though

If you want ADSL, you can plug a WiFi access point into the living socket, and then use the PC anywhere in the apartment.

Tony