DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Miami Beach V. St.Tropez !!

Posted by stgeorge-182529 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

Oh Dear !! I'm having a rethink about Florida after the latest Hurricane Frances, with Ivan on it's way - especially as last night on TV, CNN were interviewing the Mayor of Fort Pierce at the beach bar I was using recently - apparently it was swept away overnight !! Considerable damage in the Marina from storm surge, torrential rain and 100 mph winds and goodness knows how the trailer park fared ? None of this is too dramatic in itself as it can all be rebuilt and repaired and just as long as there isn't serious injury or loss of life. However, the inconvenience factor of boarding up the property everytime there's a hurricane warning would stress me out too much, plus the powercuts and flooding, so I'm staying put in Nice at least for the time being ! 

Happening to appreciate St.Tropez in , and out of season, whatever anyone says, since my first visit in 1970, I'm going to try the new fast Catamaran service from Nice Port which stops for a pickup in Cannes. A little on the dear side at 100 Euros for the AR, but if one doesn't stray too far from the Port area of St.Trop and stay in the Hotel Sube I'm convinced this can be an ideal weekend if in company of the right person !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

When I read this, I have to thank the forces that make us what we are, for the fact that we are all different.

I could live in the US, and I agree with nearly everything that St. G says about that great country, even Florida,  but Miami, and especially Miami Beach, along with places such as St. Tropez (quaint thought it may be) are grotesque, sordid and obscene parodies of humanity.

White trash, millionaires, Ocean View Drive, Le Senequier, snobby yacht clubs. My idea of hell.

Sorry no image available

I'm on the road again tomorrow so can't coherantly reply in full till the weekend, however on stumbling out of Nice Airport at 9 o'clock in the morning suffering from major jet lag, gout and mossie bite aftereffects, I fell into the arms of the Nice Taxi driver and said ' take me home my good fellow', whereupon I was taken to my door and forgot ( or he forgot)to get the change of 20 Euros from a 30 Euro fare ! I'm now broke so will have to stay in my favourite town for a while. Was it all worth while, I ask myself, and of course it was, and besides the activities already mentioned,there was big game fishing and hog hunting thrown in - unfortunately the stay was almost ruined when the skimmer boat's engine blew up in the middle of the swampland and we had to walk back waist high through alligator infested canals and reeds to dry land. Plimsolls and tennis shorts aren't the sort of attire for this - I thought my day was done !!

America despite it's problems still remains a land of opportunity- everything is easy, the food quality is second to none, but eating out is zero compared to here - the people are friendlier and I saw everything from the bottom of the pile of serious poor white trash up to millionaire status at a certain exceptionally snobby yacht Club. I prefer a simple Bonsoir to a Have a Great Evening though !

Could I live in Florida ? Yes, no problem at all but maybe only for a couple of months a year in the winter, although this time of year isn't a problem if one doesn't mind the heat and humidity( and the insects ). My heart goes out to those Americans on the Cote d'Azur who are having trouble with the language and the locals - my utmost sympathies and I realise now what trauma it must be.

Ocean Drive is a must but there again a drink at the Senequier in St.Tropez is an absolute essential ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by sms9127 - 13 years ago

Couldn't agree more with Dublinmike ... way down.

A "mature Hugh Grant" right  ! ... A bit of class is always very appreciated.

Welcome home stgeorge ...

Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

St George I can't believe you! What's happened to you? Are you lining yourself up for Alastair Cooke's job now he's departed?Loking at some keywords from your essays it would have to be called "StGeorges white trash letter from America"XJS Jag two door convertable Hot 30 something Pamela Anderson lookalikesBaseball cap and a Hawaiian shirtSmoking Fidels finestHeavy duty partiesDancing the LambadaHot Latino chicksSecond hand mobile homeI found my sizeC'mon dude your popularity ranking is way down back here, it's time to go back to being a mature Hugh Grant and not a jumble of Austin Powers, James Bond and Hugh Hefner.Oh, and I forgot......Walter Mitty.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sms9127 - 13 years ago

St George,  Is that it ?  This is your comparison ? Do you really want to live in a trailer park in Ft Pierce ?A far cry from St Tropez isn't it ? What exactly is the comparison, St Tropez vs. Miami Beach,or is it Nice vs. Ft. Pierce ?   Maybe some of the daily needs are less expensive there but on the other hand, many people there need 2 jobs to pay for, or to be eligible for Medical insurance for themselves (and their family) .  This is a BIG problem in the States and makes a big difference in the quality of life. Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

StG

And I always thought you loved Nice and were a staunch defender ..... why the sudden change! 

Sorry no image available

There is no comparison at the end of the day ! My observations of a month spent in the State of Florida is that their version of 'times are hard' when fuel is half the price of here , a hurricane passed by , the shops are open on a weekend and everyone is in employment or has two jobs, bears no relevance to our lives here on the Cote d'Azur.

The fact of the matter is that it costs, and everything is relative, half of what it costs here ! (Apart from perhaps certain establishments off Ocean Drive in Miami with adult entertainment). Even I can afford to buy a second hand mobile home in a select trailer park in Fort Pierce for $US5000 !!

The cars are big, but the roads are as well - Christian fellowship is of an evangelical nature, the supermarkets are immaculate and the health service is non-existant as we know it in europe.

The politics are a mess, but the schooling is excellent ;the deficit is appalling but no one cares; the French are always welcome ( a bit of a surprise ) for their chic, culture and resistance against the Iraqi war;jeans are made locally for the ranchers ( I found my size), and everyone is falling behind with computer technology, compared to France.

The taxes are low and a bunch of people are working on the black for cash, the weather is great but there's some rain.

You tell me (who can be bothered to read this),why I should stay in Nice with the minimal euro-culture and the so-called provencal charm ? Tu parles !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

linzi-mermaid - as you ask, I'll tell ! Winn-Dixie supermarket where I buy my daily groceries and champagne are running a scheme of contributions of your change at the cash out to the American Red Cross Florida Hurricane Relief Fund- I see no problem in this small effort to help out financially where possible. Secondly,this weekend, (apart from some heavy duty parties and dancing the Lambada with some hot Latino chicks,) will be devoted to sorting out electrical problems for people who lost power over lengthy periods and need systems resetting ( or freezers emptying !!) in the less salubrious parts of Fort Pierce and surrounds.

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 13 years ago

It all sounds fabulous. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So what are you doing there are you going to help the homeless? Or carry on living it up!

The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow