DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Modes of payment

Posted by hammojs - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hopefully get keys to my Nice apartment in a couple of weeks and have to furnish and redecorate. Question is do most stores accept Visa/Amex or would it be advisable to have a French bank account with cheques available?

Regards

Jim

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

Don't tell them how long you are here for. A two year contract can suddenly be cancelled in 6 months time.

You need to play the system.

Jan

Happy New Year to you

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

Hi Jim

You'll quite possibly need to show ID when paying with your foreign cards - many stores request that - passport will work fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maizewell - 14 years ago

I'll try them next - I've tried CCF and the Banque Populaire in Nice... no go so far!

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Have you tried Barclays? They are used to foreigners, so they may be more accommodating.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maizewell - 14 years ago

TO which all I can say is just you try getting a bank account. At present I despair of getting one set up. I'm here on a short term contract (6 months to start with) and have been turned down by two banks so far on the grounds that 6 months is too short. I've tried explaining that the intention of both myself and the company I'm working for is that I should be here for a couple of years at least, but to absolutely no avail. I don't want an overdraft or anything fancy, I just want to have an account so that I can do things like paying my electricity and phone bills, and my monthly broadband subscription - which I can't get because wanadoo won't accept my credit card!

There are times when I hate this country - mostly whenever I run slap bang into this sort of stupid bureaucracy! I was in the Netherlands prior to this where ABN-AMRO were more than happy to take my money even though my contract was for an initial 3 months.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 14 years ago

hi Jim,

most shops take visa/amex but you'll probably need a french bank account to pay your utility bills unless you set up standing orders. Not a bad idea to have one!

Rosetta