DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mortgage advice

Posted by Juliette-185824 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Eleanor R-181992 - 14 years ago

Rereading my earlier contribution to this discussion, I realise that I was a little harsh on both of the banks mentioned!  They are both very accomodating and flexible for clients who are not necessarily based in France and well placed for variable rate mortgages.

However, do remember that the French mortgage market is not as flexibale as other countries such as the UK due to the government taxes for registering mortgages on property.

Eleanor

Sorry no image available
Posted by Eleanor R-181992 - 14 years ago

Hello!

There are many other banks who offer better service, products and margins than both the BPCA and AN, as they do not aim at providing an all in english service which obviously has to be paid for. 

However, probably there are no penalities on your AN mortgage for early prepayment - I imagine that it is a 3 month variable, flexible product based on the Euribor 3mths?   The only down side is that you will need to check whether financially it is worth your while changing as you will have to reregister a mortgage on your property which can be very expensive, unless your are tax resident in France?

Please feel free to call me if I can be of any help : 06 15 16 10 04.

Regards

Eleanor

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 14 years ago

A brief reply, as July the 14th fatigue is rapidly dragging my eyelids twards the floor, Banque Populaire - thumbs up from Les as well - They even have an English language web site. . . . but check the AN small print . . . . .

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shanwick - 14 years ago

I got an excellent deal with Banque Populaire Cote D'Azur which couldn't be beaten by any other lender in the area, and I tried them all.

Speak to Marion 04 93 82 81 80

Sorry no image available
Posted by the_geezer - 14 years ago

Hi Juliette,

Good idea to look for another lender. I looked into using AbNat myself but was shocked at their rates. I won't say what I think of them, as I'm sure Admin will be on to me!

I think the best thing for you to do is read the small print in your mortgage contract to find out when you can opt out. There may be a clause that says you will be penalised if you change your mortgage within X number of months.

Once you have established that, then it's good to have a look around for a more competitive deal. If you are worried about having to negotiate in French, then come up the coast a little where there are French banks with staff who speak English (this is particularly true around Sophia Antipolis where I'm told half their clients are non-French).

Beware of what look like special offers too! Some banks offer initial 1% loans for the first few years and then bump up the rates to compensate in later years. My personal advice would be to stick with some of the bigger names; BNP, Credit Agricole etc

Good luck!

The Geezer