DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mosquitos

Posted by John Broadbent - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jelly-193845 - 14 years ago

Good luck linda

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what's that behind ya?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jelly

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linda Caird-193057 - 14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for all the good advice. I will certainly try some of them. It must be right about the Vitamin B complex as my partner takes this and he never gets bit, I thought he just had bad blood.It made me laugh to see some of the comments re the question of killing mozzies being humane or not, leading then into a debate about elephants and their destruction. I started to feel quite guilty for causing such mayhem when I only asked a simple question about mozzies. Anyway thanks alot and  I hope everyone has a good summer free of mozzie bites.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jelly-193845 - 14 years ago

John

I used to suffer also, but plain old Vitamin B Complex kicks in after 1-2 weeks. The little buggers hate the taste................it really works for me and many others I know. Don't take it at the same time with another multi-vitamin as it may reduce impact as it could interact. Take it at tea time without other supplements.

Should work, good luck 

Jelly

Sorry no image available
Posted by Roog - 14 years ago

Eat marmite if you like it, it has the right vit B's which ever they are. Drink gin and tonics all the time, tonic has quinine in it, the all famous brits abroad drink for this reason. Use natural citron products, soap mosie repelent, shampoo etc. Eat lots of garlic, shouldn't be hard out here & it's good for you. Insall a cieling fan and they won't be able to get atcha. Mosie net coated in something called errrrm pethadrine?? or some thing like that I forget. And as you know the worst times are dawn and dusk. Get a suntan mossies find it harder getting through hardened skin. I wouldn't recommend trying to let your body get used to the bites, there are all sorts of varities of mosies and they are constanly adapting, plus if anyone goes to a malaria infected country its definatly not good advice. Keep a natural repelant and a jungle formula handy when going to bad mosie areas. I'm not saying do all these things ALL the time but if you remember each a do them ocasionally it will help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Palmtrees-188751 - 14 years ago

Back to Mozzi bites,   I've heard that one of the 'B' vitamins are good for putting off the little pests.   Has anyone tried this?  If so, which B vitamin is it?

Palmtrees

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

jjoepage

I think you are having a laugh.  Just in case you aren't, you might wish to know that elephants in some areas of Africa have totally destroyed vast areas of vegetation, causing massive soil erosion and the multiple problems which that brings.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 14 years ago

quote:have you ever seen the devastation wrought by elephants?

I haven't.  But, it seems if every elephant on the planet would simultaneously jump up and down until her/his ears bleed and the damage would be laughably minescule in comparison to what humans do each day.  Here is to the mosquitos who are doing their best to slow down the devastation in the only way they know how.  I just hope they get the right 2 million people.

Its all good

Sorry no image available
Posted by gordygrk2-184034 - 14 years ago

My wife has just informed me of a TV prog. she watched today, about scientific research on the mozzie. The scientists verdict? 'The only good mosquito is a dead mosquito'

Don't have a lot of friends, do they?

The elephant on the other hand has many friends, including me, but then I've never been bitten by one!

Gordon

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

quote:The human species is the only one having the capacity to destroy the earth and has made remarkable progress doing just that

True to a point.  Humans are the worst but have you ever seen the devastation wrought by elephants?

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 14 years ago

"mozzies are almost alone in the animal world in having no use whatsoever in the ecological chain"

I don't know about that.  The human species is the only one having the capacity to destroy the earth and has made remarkable progress doing just that.  Maybe mozzies were put here to slow down that progress to the tune of about 2 million per year.  I am not sure a basis: "As far as I know mozzies have no use" is strong enough to initiate a wholesale effort to destroy a species.  A little yard control might be in order.  Walk gently, be kind.

Its all good