DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Movers...

Posted by k UMGELTER - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by k UMGELTER - 15 years ago

oh and figured I ought to add that I dont' like exploiting my friends and figure that time is money - even if they are friends and would do it for free.. AND if they don't want any money they will surely get a beautiful gift for the generous gift of their time or I will pay everyone a nice dinner in a restaurant.

When people work full-time and have their own families and activities.. giving one of their free limited time days to help someone move is a big thing to ask - I don't assume my friends are in my life to "be service renderers"

Unfortunately not everyone in the south of France has the "means and ways" of some of hte priveleged ex patriots that live here.

K Umgelter

Sorry no image available

I have opted for paying my sports buddies and a rental van.. thanks.K Umgelter

Sorry no image available
Posted by emilio-191215 - 15 years ago

Hi Mike,

Good job !!!! I totally agree with you

Emilio

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

If, by "informal", you actually mean "illegal and undeclared" then a) you can expect no help here and b) you can - anecdotal evidence suggests - expect to pay MORE than if you use a registered business that is part of a competitive economy rather than someone exploiting an ability to speak English but expecting UK levels of payment - or higher - for such work (which are significantly higher than the local standard). You will also be uninsured and liable for prosecution - with some pretty serious penalties.

If, by "informal", you mean "chatty and personable" then you will find the full range of personalities among the companies and legal one-person shows that are listed, and you will also find a range of prices depending on what you want done. If you want to pay less, then you are simply unwilling to pay the fair market rate; so hire a van and do the work yourself with some friends as unpaid muscle (but don't employ paid "black" labour for that, either...).

Mike

Sorry no image available

I was kind of hoping for a more informal inexpensive service.  At one point we always heard about the "man with a van" on Riviera Radio.. anyone that heard about this knows the ad I am talking about.K Umgelter

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

There are several "men with vans" (and probably a few women, too). It's a generic term...

see here, for an example or two:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/af/24/